Need information about V brakes

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by 45u, Aug 9, 2016.

1. 45u

45u Active Member

Know very little about them. When they say 82mm reach is that from the center of the pivot to the center of the pads? Do they make different pads for alloy wheels over steel wheels?
    Thanks
    Jeff

2. Frankenstein

Frankenstein Active Member

Yes, that's the meaning of the reach. Generally the pads are exactly the same regardless of the rim type. If you have aluminum rims then spring for better pads that don't hold onto grit and crap because if they do they will tend to grind the aluminum away rather easily, resulting in blowouts and/or worse

3. FurryOnTheInside

FurryOnTheInside Active Member

No, you can place the pads at different levels around about 20mm 5/8" slot to match up with the variance in wheel position that you always get with single speed horizontal dropouts bikes. Reach is arm length. Pivot to cable. Affects the tyre/ fender clearance and leverage. Been seeing v brakes on 3" tyre bikes in recent forum posts. 85mm reach minus about 25mm for the rim/ pad position would not adequately clear a 60mm tyre. It might clear a fender 59mm above the rim edge but the more the arms stick outward after you set the pads, the less tyre/fender height they can clear.. Still have to have room for the noodle holder. If you want to know how to set them up the good way not the big store way I will post in bicycle maintenance section.

Chrome plated steel (cruiser?) or nickel plated alloy bmx rims would prefer you use softer compound for effectiveness, transparent pads to keep the shine. My ears would prefer you just use alloy rims, lol. They all (pad types on chrome/nickel squeal horribly and I just hate that. Chrome rims are not not not a good surface for a rim brake in wet/dew. Tangential cuts to the pad surface might help but not enough IMO. The chrome will wear and flake eventually.. Doubt that they would outlast alloy due to that.. If you buy alloy rims without a machined brake surface then you can still use v brakes on a lot of anodized rims, depending on construction; but you shouldn't use them on powder coated unless you can sand the pc off first with wet n dry jammed over the pads.

The braking surface should/usually have a wear line or dots on it so you know when to replace it.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  4. 45u

45u Active Member

These are the wheels I am using and do not want to eat them up. I have front disc.
    Thanks all for the input
    Jeff

Attached Files:

Tom from Rubicon likes this.
  5. FurryOnTheInside

What is the braking surface made of? What are those cool looking wheels made of too (off topic, just wondering!)?
    Can you find Avid Arch Rival v brakes? They have a built in brake booster (arch brace).

6. 45u

45u Active Member

7. Frankenstein

In light of the post after me, I suppose I retract my statements lol.. Always felt a pad was a pad was a pad...

8. FurryOnTheInside

Okay cool, standard brake pads that come with the brakes will be perfectly good. I'm sure you will get decent v brakes. A brake booster (or Avid Arch Rival with it built in) will prevent any flex, twisting or squeal that comes from the twisting.. Your frame isn't hi-ten anyway but idk what those frames are like with Vs. They have a lot of power to flex the seatstays and are sharper with a booster although on the rear it doesn't always make a difference really unless there was a problem.

9. 45u

45u Active Member

FurryOnTheInside likes this.
  10. FurryOnTheInside

Lol in light of the one after mine I needent have even mentioned chrome rims. I hate chrome rims anyway lol. :rolleyes:

11. 45u

45u Active Member

What is a booster? It has the mounts for V brakes on the frame. Is that does not work I will go dsc but I wonder about the chain lube slinging off the drive chain from the motor but going to try V breaks first.
    Thanks
    Jeff

12. FurryOnTheInside

Google images of "brake booster" and Avid arch rival :) A booster prevents flex caused by awesome v brakes (originally called direct pull cantilever) being used on frames that were designed originally to have lower powered cantilever brakes fitted in the early MTB years. Doesn't necessarily matter in alloy but idk how much flex the GT2A frame has. Often, lightweight (or not technically advanced) frames, even alloy ones could be better with a booster.
    Cross country frames had the flex but no one cared because the rear wheel skids so easily anyway, weight mattered more. Alloy bmx 24" race frames too. Newer bike frames are stiffer there (or just use disc), but GT2A is from outside the bicycle industry so that makes me wary.
    Avid arch rival is a parallel push linkage whatsit that means you don't have to adjust the pads after the initial setting, they wear evenly and stay on the same track for their lifetime. Apparently there was an issue with getting a larger (>2") inflated tyre past the pads when used on presumably narrow frames but I think the GT2A frame is meant for very wide tyres.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  13. FurryOnTheInside

Sorry for too many edits and a whole book. It's so hard to not be misleading by omissions and errors. :oops:

14. Frankenstein

It's fine, I tend to write in novels too..

15. 45U, Could you please tell me where you acquired your handle bars? I like the set back. I am currently building a Sportsman Flyer in road configuration. It looks like you found what I want.

16. Frankfort MB's

Frankfort MB's Well-Known Member

That's a crazy setup just for a Grubee Skyhawk!!

Those brakes are bigger than most people's 10hp bikes:)

Where'd you find a suspension seat post?

17. Frankenstein

Yes about that frame, where did you get it? How big is that open space?

18. CustomMotoredBicycles.com / MBrebel aka Lynn is where I bought mine. I like this product, it's all the suspension your rear gets. Better than nothing.