need some advice on fixing custom gearbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

butterbean

Local time
6:11 AM
I have a custom gearbox similar to the one agk sells for the Predator engines. This one is different from theirs in the fact that it originally had a square piece welded on to one end so that the shaft could be slid through and have bearings at both ends of the shaft. I hope that I am making sense here. The reason for the shaft being installed this way was so that the jackshaft output sprocket could be slid back and forth along the shaft to allow adjustment of chain alignment without having to move the engine. Recently, I noticed that the welds on the back were cracking. I attempted a repair which did not work. I then decided to cut off the part that was welded on and cut the shaft down so that it would function exactly the same as agk's jackshaft. The problem I am having now is that the shaft will not stay in place, even though I am using two sets of bearings and bearing hangers to hold the shaft in place, its moving around and therefore my chains will not stay on. Is there anyone who can tell me how to put it back together so that I dont have to buy a whole new gearbox? Or am I screwed?

Well, looks like I'll be ordering a new gearbox from agk anyway. Thanks for all the help.

I have a custom gearbox similar to the one agk sells for the Predator engines. This one is different from theirs in the fact that it originally had a square piece welded on to one end so that the shaft could be slid through and have bearings at both ends of the shaft. I hope that I am making sense here. The reason for the shaft being installed this way was so that the jackshaft output sprocket could be slid back and forth along the shaft to allow adjustment of chain alignment without having to move the engine.

Recently, I noticed that the welds on the back were cracking.

I attempted a repair which did not work.

I then decided to cut off the part that was welded on and cut the shaft down so that it would function exactly the same as agk's jackshaft.

The problem I am having now is that the shaft will not stay in place, even though I am using two sets of bearings and bearing hangers to hold the shaft in place, its moving around and therefore my chains will not stay on. Is there anyone who can tell me how to put it back together so that I dont have to buy a whole new gearbox? Or am I screwed?
Oh No, you ##@%ed it up!!! :)

Bad decision and too bad that you ****ed off CulverCityClassic who made it for you.
Sometimes burning bridges ain't such a great idea..........

Motorbicycleracing? Did you really come in here to ridicule him instead of offer a solution? You're a twirp if so.
He's asking for advice or help and despite what may have transpired between them two it isn't your place to taunt like that.....its actually creepy yould wanna.
BBB....post a pic of it and what happened and I'll offer a solution...or if you're unable you could send it for repair here.
Don't think this bozo knows the only one capable.

If you cut off the bracket it is never going to work.

Post a pic of what it looks like now.

Attachments

• image-1796802294.jpg
    image-1796802294.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 292
reading your post closer bbb...you cut the back plate off and tried to mount two bearings close together on the one side thats left? If so its always gonna be bobbing around......did you save the pieces? it can be fixed but it sounds like you cut the shaft also? youll need another if so.....surprising it broke, it looks more than up to the task

I already ordered a replacement from agk. I emailed Jeff before I ordered it to see if he would give me advice on fixing his, but apparently he is still letting personal feelings cloud a business relationship. That's the problem with niche vendors. Personal feelings and business should never interfere. I needed his support on a product that he not only sold me, but also built and designed himself. He never even replied to my email. It's been over a week. So whatever. Agk's gearbox is probably the cheapest on the market right now at 135, so it's a done deal for me. Never trusting anyone who makes parts themselves again. MotoMagz, pm me about the other one and we'll work something out.

Jeff got mad at me over the whole thing with sportscar pat, and even after I apologized publicly to pat, Jeff still wanted nothing to do with me. I don't get it. It's not like I took any money out of jeffs pocket. Business is business, and personal feelings should never be involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back