Need some help with my motorized bike! :P

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by somethingswrong, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Hey, I'm really new to this website, I actually literally just started because I need some help, I have a pk80 bike motor I got online, and I'm having some problems with it right now, I can give any pictures needed or anything ( you just have to be kind of specific of where it is because this is my very first build and I don't know much about it :p ) but what had happened was when i put it together, the kill switch wasn't working so I had cut it ( dont know if this caused the problem ) but today its been working perfectly, and since I got it, the gas has had quite a bit of leak, but I don't think it's a gas problem, when you pull the clutch lever you can hear the motor, but it's not like getting a spark? It's not giving it any pull or firing up, I think it may be the spark plug or the cdi coil but im not entirley sure, I could've also flooded it but I wouldn't know how to tell.

Sorry for writing so much x.x but all the help is appreciated! thank you :p

2. BAZZA614

BAZZA614 Member

Im not the best with motorised pushbikes myself, i mean i know enough on how to put them together and a little extra but its a bit limited when it comes to problems anyway my best bet would have to be a new spark plug a good one would have to be a NGK there are pretty good and for the gas leak- Did you put some plumers tape around the Fuel tap (around the part where it screws in to the fuel tank?) If so then it could be the fuel line or even the carbe

3. No, I didn't use any tape at all, I just attatched the fuel line to the tank and to the carb and I think it leaks from the air filter, but it's a slow overtime and it stops when I turn the fuel off so it doesn't go there anymore. But do you know where Ican get an NGK spark plug and for how much?

4. BAZZA614

BAZZA614 Member

Well i live in australia and for me i go to supercheap auto And repco but with you living in kentucky weather google is wright or wrong about where lexington is. i dont know about if those stores are over in america. What ever store you try always take in your old spark plug cause they can match it up Properly. Even some motorbike shops will be good

5. BAZZA614

BAZZA614 Member

And the price would be depending on what model of NGK spark you would need The range is 5-15 aus dollars

6. BAZZA614

BAZZA614 Member

By the way welcome to the website

7. IbedaYank

IbedaYank Member

this thread is worthless without pictures of how your wiring is done

8. My wiring is fine, It's just not getting a spark and thank you BAZZ :) I'll go somewhere like autozone or something and see if they have any

9. IbedaYank

IbedaYank Member

That's cool you seem to know more then the rest of us do.
    Good luck with getting it running.

10. BAZZA614

BAZZA614 Member

Ur welcome good luck

11. BAZZA614

BAZZA614 Member

As of the gas leak from the air filter It could be float inside the carbe they get stuck sometimes you can see some videos on youtube On how to get them unstuck. They are pretty easy to fix once you get your head around it.

12. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

It could be flooded, but in my experience 99% of the time "IT'S THE COIL in a no spark situation. The kill switch isn't the problem since you now have it disconected. Also make sure no bare wires are touching the engine or frame and the white wire is capped or cut off and also NOT grounded to engine or frame. replacing the plug wire, boot and plug will help a lot once you get spark. I have no idea how much it will cost to get a new coil in Australia, but in the states they are only about $12.00 U.S. I've had coils that still had a little spark left in them but not enough to run it, JUST TOO WEAK.

13. Do you want me to take some pictures of my wiring and post them here? I thought it was flooded, It had the same problem last time with no spark and my friend told me to take the spark plug out, ride it a few miles with nothing, just to clean it out or something ;s and i did it, and after that it worked, but i tried that this time and its not working. If it was flooded how would I go about fixing it? I just don't want to have to buy a new coil and spark plug and realise I don't need it :p and Should I get the same coil that came with the bike? Or a different one if I do end up replacing it?

14. BAZZA614

BAZZA614 Member

A good way to test the spark plug and coil is to take out the spark plug from the engine and leave it connected to the coil. Look at athe spark plug and push the bike if it sparks then you know it's something else if it doesn't spark try another spark plug that you know that will deffenitly work if it still doesn't spark after pushing the bike with it connected to the coil then it's ether the coil or magnet.it can be dangerous if the spark ends up next to fuel line or if you hold it you can electrocute yourself a little (personal experience with my motorised bike)
    so if you don't feel comfortable doing this than I dont suggest not doing it.

15. BAZZA614

BAZZA614 Member

And some photos of the wiring would be good just to be sure

16. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

IF he has black to black and blue to blue and the kill switch is disconnected, then why does anyone need pics of the wiring?
    Even if you're getting a spark doesn't mean it's a GOOD spark.I"VE been fooled a hundred times by a weak coil. PULL a plug to check and it LOOKS like a good spark, but a weak spark will drive you CRAZY. like I said 99% of the time it's the coil.

17. BAZZA614

BAZZA614 Member

Well big red it help me out on my build

18. IbedaYank

IbedaYank Member

being there has been at least one guy that did NOT hook up the CDI box to the wires coming out of the motor... and more then 1 has hooked not to the blue but the white wire...

and these motors do not have a serperate coil it is built into the CDI box
    here are coils used on motorcycles
    large_1143_1143_12-volt-coil-lucas-triumph-photo-1.jpg