need some help

jimmycoyote

Local time
4:46 PM
I am new at this and I really want to try it. I got a cheap two stroke 80 cc engine kit just to try out. but I want a GOOD frame or bike to start with just in case I really enjoy it. I was kinda leaning toward the Micargi bikes, either the Pantera or the Tahiti. would I be better off with single speed or with seven speed? (I thought with gears I might up grade someday to where I could use them. because I live in VERY hilly country (Montana). does anyone have good Ideas about what is a good frame? and or bike to start with?.I live on a social security check so, I ain't a rich person. Thank you, Jimmy Coyote

A single speed can be hard to pedal if you brake down. As for frame what ever you like if the motor will fit it and if you heave a 7 speed maybe shift kit

coaster brake frames rarely have mounts for real brakes that will stop you at 30-40 mph

I have my engine kit on a literally $30 used bike with 7 speed shift kit. As long as the motor fits and it has good brakes I think it will work. The more important thing is probably to inspect that back tire spokes to make sure they are durable and strong.

biggest thing with those spokes is to learn to handle clutch gently

I've built both single speed and multi speed MBs. My real problem with mult speeds is that the back wheel becomes a good deal more complex than it seems it ought to. Just changing that occasional flat tire gets to be a headache and you find yourself not really wanting to do it.

So I'll probably go with single speeds from here on out. A rear cog with 22 teeth and a front chain ring with 28 teeth gives you gearing that's low enough that starting the bike is not a problem. Of course, that's your only pedal gearing. That's too bad because there are times when you'd like some other gearing. But I think the trade-off is worth it.

I've come to the conclusion that good wheels matter more than just what frame to use. I've gone over to 24 inch wheels with 12 gauge spokes and coaster brake on the rear plus 11 gauge spokes and drum brake on the front. I'd rather have 11 gauge spokes on both. But that's what I've found available.

If you figure on $200 for the set, you'll have twenty or thirty bucks left over. It might sound a bit pricey. But if you put your money into good wheels you can use a donor frame and save some green there. I think you'll be better off.

I got a Micargi 7 spd for my first build... I wanted a steel frame, V brakes and to not spend a whole lot. Apparently you can't get v-brakes and single speed (stock) for cheap...so I ended up getting the 7spd. However, I'm glad I did as it is nice to be able to shift gears when riding (leg-power that is), especially when on a hill and with the engine on the bike, it's pretty heavy..lol. But the engine on it works great and it's sturdy.

I got the bike from Amazon for about $175...which fit the bill for me. :)

For what it's worth, I found the bike frame perfect for the 66cc cheapo engine I got. I did have a little modification for mounting the front, but it was really simple to do and not expensive (about $3).

I think the bike performs well enough for the price, and so far I've been happy with it. I think the bike frame is a good platform if you decide you like these engines and go in a more substantive route, like with a shift-kit, etc. but I'd likely recommend checking out the hubs, spokes etc...as I'm sure the ones that come with the bike aren't that great. I've haven't noticed any issues (rag-joint rear sprocket) but I'm sure it's a matter of time.

At any rate, hope that helps.

I see one of the most popular of those in the motorized bicycle hobbyists is employing a Huffy from Wallmart ..get a 60 t sprocket for the hills if you want reliable but slightly slower than the smaller numbers so long as your not above 3500' elevation if so get an electric motor setup.

Back