Local time
1:29 AM
Hello every one
I have just start colecting parts for my first push trailer but
Would you check it . I wonnot lose my mony for no thing

the cluch I found in chainsaw it is about 10cm diameter
Then I found A wheel. It is 25cm diameter
So can I start with this ??
And how about engine . can I use chiainsow engine or not ??

Attachments

• Image(541).jpg
    Image(541).jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 367
  • بدون عنوان.JPG
    بدون عنوان.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 346
TNNAROOT's first project - a pusher trailer

I see no one has replied in the several days since your post. I think it's because it appears you might need more help than can be reasonably given online. I think you should do a lot of reading in this forum before you start collecting parts. I notice you have been advised of this before.
Apparently you don't have a chainsaw engine yet. If you got one, it would most likely have a clutch on it. Chainsaw engines can be used, but their clutches are designed for a cutting chain not a roller chain. You would have to modify the clutch by replacing its sprocket or perhaps find a clutch to fit that works with roller chain.
It is probably more difficult to attach a throttle cable to an engine that has a trigger, but maybe not if you remove or bypass the trigger.
A chainsaw doesn't have the typical bolt holes for attaching it to your trailer. I'm sure that can be solved, but it is just another headache that will be difficult for a first time builder.
In a previous post you replied that you have a 2HP 2 stroke engine. Is it from a chainsaw? Can you tell us more about it? Can you post a photo?
It will take a little research to find a sprocket for that wheel. The bolt pattern must be accurately measured unless you have the catalog description of the hub. You will need longer wheel bolts and spacers on each bolt to position the sprocket correctly.
You will need a long bolt of the proper length and diameter to serve as an axle and spacers will be needed there too.
It would be best if the wheel had 'high-speed' bearings.
You have to decide on a gear ratio which will depend on the RPMs and horsepower of the engine primarily. It will also depend on the type of riding you want to do and how hilly your area is. Your gear ratio will determine what size sprocket you need on the wheel and will also depend on how many teeth are on the clutch sprocket.
It would be much easier to make a pusher trailer with a Briggs or similar horizontal shaft engine around 3.5 to 5 horsepower. You could use a minibike/gokart type centrifugal clutch that fits the typically 5/8 in. or 3/4 in. shafts of this size engine and #35 chain. These engines are low RPM engines that allow a direct chain drive from clutch to wheel. A typical ratio can easily be obtained with these components by using a wheel sprocket that is about 2/3 of the diameter of the wheel. A chainsaw engine will probably be a much higher RPM engine that will require a jackshaft to get a useable gear ratio. Your best bet for a first project would be to use as many parts as possible from a simple minibike. Use the search function to read all you can about pusher trailers in this forum. I and others have written about our builds. I've written several posts about my pusher which is the simplest of all I've seen. Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjEgsKqfi74

Last edited by a moderator:
helping newbys

Thanks Hap,
I hope I don't discourage anyone, but I know from experience that some otherwise very intelligent people don't understand that they need to learn the basics by searching the forum extensively, planning their builds to the best of their ability and explaining their choices & goals before asking for advice.
Many have responded to my Youtube vids asking about kits or plans. For several I wrote many pages of correspondence about a potential or actual build just to have them change their minds for some silly forseeable reason.
I spent several months writing back & forth with one 50+ year old man who was very articulate, never misspelled a word etc. First he wanted to make a pusher which we thoroughly discussed until he decided he didn't think he could find or operate a conduit bender! Then he wanted to build my front wheel drive machine. He had very many questions before & during the beginning of a build. Even though he had a large collection of small vehicle plans and photos, I could tell he didn't understand much at all about machinery, tools, gear ratios, material strength, or handyman engineering in general, so I tried to be as thorough as possible with many long emails (with photos & drawings). He had occasionally suggested untenable alterations to the build and I told him it would be far safer to copy mine. He finally prematurely started his build and sent me a photo. He had made it of thin aluminum instead of steel angle, stove bolted where it needed welds and much wider than mine in an attempt to accommodate a smaller but wider engine than we had been discussing. It was so wide an axle to fit his wheel would be poorly supported and likely to bend. He was trying to fit an engine that had a gas tank in the way and was small enough to need a jackshaft to be useful in his hilly neighborhood. He had previously made it clear he was not interested in a jackshaft and I also didn't want to try to guide him through building it differently than mine anyway. Needless to say, we both eventually gave up in frustration. He finally revealed he was building in his kitchen, had few tools, was hiding the project from his landlord , had no means of transportation and had decided a pusher would be all he could afford.
Most picked my brain as much as possible, then thanklessly disappeared despite my requests for a photo or some info about their builds.
I invited all to the forum and a couple of our pusher builders are now members. They were ones who needed little more than my video (and answers to a few thoughtful questions I would have asked) to inspire their own versions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back