New 2 group looking for advice.

2stroked cruiser

Local time
10:08 AM
I have one successful build and I love it, now I'm doing another but this is an older bike with a sturmey archer rear IGH hub i can't find an adapter large enough will i be ok just nothing in-between the spoke inlets to give a centered clearance for the factory Chineseium sprocket adapter? Any help or previous experiences would be great thanks for the add to group and future knowledge!

I have one successful build and I love it, now I'm doing another but this is an older bike with a sturmey archer rear IGH hub i can't find an adapter large enough will i be ok just nothing in-between the spoke inlets to give a centered clearance for the factory Chineseium sprocket adapter? Any help or previous experiences would be great thanks for the add to group and future knowledge!
Here's what you do. Put a single speed wheel in the rear. Then use the IGH as a multi-speed jackshaft transmission for your engine.

The rubber sprocket adapter is known as the "rag joint" if you take your time centering them properly, and use some higher quality nuts and bolts they work fine. I wouldn't use them on a high horsepower engine, but for the standard 66 cc unit they work sufficiently. You will need to make sure the hole in the sprocket fits the Sturmey hub OK, if so, you're good. 3 speed should be nice for a motorized bike.:)

The rubber sprocket adapter is known as the "rag joint" if you take your time centering them properly, and use some higher quality nuts and bolts they work fine. I wouldn't use them on a high horsepower engine, but for the standard 66 cc unit they work sufficiently. You will need to make sure the hole in the sprocket fits the Sturmey hub OK, if so, you're good. 3 speed should be nice for a motorized bike.:)
Thanks for the reply the provided hardware to Mount sprocket is not big enough i cut the rubber and I'm a good 5/8 off the od of my sturmey igh is 2.25 , looking like I am going to use a free wheel fixed gear and i actually have an idea to mount sprocket using the thread for the gear on the other side . Alot of fixed gear hubs now have an option to screw on 2 different gears .

Thanks for the reply the provided hardware to Mount sprocket is not big enough i cut the rubber and I'm a good 5/8 off the od of my sturmey igh is 2.25 , looking like I am going to use a free wheel fixed gear and i actually have an idea to mount sprocket using the thread for the gear on the other side . Alot of fixed gear hubs now have an option to screw on 2 different gears .
You can put a shift kit. Then you can get rid of the left side chain.

Back