new bike build with a no-start problem...

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by stackz, Oct 4, 2008.

1. stackz

stackz New Member

just got the bike finished troubleshooting today after putting it together on a small frame mountain bike. all kinds of **** to deal with haha.

anyway...engine wont crank. I'm getting fuel into the fuel bowl at least that I can see.

how can I test for spark??

I had the kill switch hooked up inline with the blue wire. also, I wired it blue to blue and black to black between the magneto and the engine.

after it wouldnt crank I read that the kill switch can cause problems so I bypassed it but still no crank.

I pretty much dont know what to do at this point.

I'm home all afternoon and will be tinkering with it and on here so please post up if you have ideas on to test spark/fuel

2. stackz

stackz New Member

haha, got it.

I just took off again and got going as fast as I could and then popped the clutch and gave it throttle and next thing I know I'm off!!

every time I let off the clutch it dies on me.

how long do you leave the choke in before you take the choke off??

going to see if the dying problem is idle speed related since it looks to be backed way off.

3. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

best at most times to turn off choke asap

once an engine runs ok without being choked --

may as well turn choke off so as to avoid -- running too rich -- foul plug ect

makes it better when we wish to --- Ride That Thing Mountainman

4. Mountainman

stackz

a new one -- are you going to break that engine in -- just a little at least

simple way -- varying between 1/4 to 3/4 throttle

when it's broken in right sure is nice to -- Ride That Thing Mountainman

5. stackz

stackz New Member

just got back from running around the neighborhood and um yeah, what kinda brake pads you guys using??? lol, mine are already worn down from just this little run :p

slowing down from 20-25mpg and still trying to get used to the clutch/brakes.....and cornering!!! lol....

been **** on the brakes.

oh yeah, can you guess which of my MANY modifications to the kit is my favorite?? haha. and yeah, I had to do a bunch of fab work so it would fit the tiny frame with thick beams.

what the **** do you guys do about leg burns??? ugh, I'm gonna heat wrap the exhaust manifold but I've brushed the engine a few times :???:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Mountainman

might wish to try some softer brake pads -- will wear out fasted -- but faster stop

real hard - usually old brake pads - last a long time - not the best stopping power

with this brake set up

I would buy the best pads I could get from a bicycle shop
    telling them that I don't care about how fast they wear out
    I just wish to stop on time

Ride That Thing Mountainman

7. POPS

POPS Member

Hi Stackz...Nice bike and nice build. I did notice though that your chain looks loose and the idler looks wrong as the chain is wraped too far around the rear sprocket. It is only supposed to cover 50% of the sprocket. Maybe your motor is tilted too far forward.I am shure someone with more experience will help out here as I am just learning as well. What do you think guys ?POPS

8. Mountainman

good call POPS

if the idler is moved more towards the engine this will correct this

some chain lenks out ???

ride that thing Mountainman

9. POPS

POPS Member

Thanks Mountainman...POPS

10. hill climber

hill climber Member

yep, motor looks a little to tipped forward to me. i try to get the rear mount flush on the frame then file the front to fit. HEY!! DO A WHEELIE! hill climber

11. stackz

stackz New Member

I've had to adjust the tensioner twice today already, the chain just keeps slacking up. after it gets topped out on the tensioner adjustment wise I'll see if there's enough to take another link.

just kinda weird.

as for the motor. its flush against both mounts on the frame. I guess its just the chain slowly stretching but you should have seen it when it was first set up. tensioner was almost up against the sprocket.

but for the life of me I cant see any signs of stretch on the links :confused:

12. hill climber

hill climber Member

you wont see it but its stretchhhhhhhhhhhhhing.

13. Mountainman

well -- hard to see the stretch with the eye

if one felt how tight the chain was when new (as we bend it around)

and then now (notice how loose it feels already) if twisted while in our hands

cheap chains show this (much faster) than quality chains

much talk here on site regarding size 41 quality chains

when the time comes you know what to do ---

Ride That Thing Mountainman

14. POPS

POPS Member

Another thought???
    Could be excessive chain stretch due to over stressing at rear sprocket. Ex: More than 50% of chain on rear and it's trying to climb itself??? POPS

15. brendonv

brendonv Member

also on ur carby where the throttle goes into the carb u might wanna screw in that bit where it goes into so ur bike idles lower and then adjust the idle with the idle screw if need be.