New bike, don't run & don't know how to use it.

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by Christian Gastineau, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Christian Gastineau

Christian Gastineau New Member

Hello, my name is christian and I'm new to the group.
    Well here's my situation. My car is down so I decided to get a motorized bicycle for the mean time. I found one on craigslist for pretty cheap.
    This is the story: I was originally going to buy it for $265 but when I got there he couldn't get it to start (said it has been sitting for 2 weeks & only had it a month prior to that) he said the chain was tighter than usual & said the clutch might be stuck in gear or something. So I ended up buying the bike for $150. When I got home I literally had no idea where to start so I thought I would come on here to get some help from you guys. Also, the rear wheel is stuck. It won't move forward or backwards. Thanks for your time and any help I can get!

2. dougsr.874

dougsr.874 Active Member

Sounds like you made a poor decision....check around in your area for someone to help you.....every area generally has someone that knows about these bikes.....back wheel stuck could be most anything from a seized engine, clutch not releasing , bad assembly of back wheel...to many variables to advise.

3. fattirejack

fattirejack Member

Post some pictures, and more information. What kind of bike, size, 2-stroke,4-stroke, coaster brake??? You can start by pulling the clutch release cover off and see if the chain is jammed between the sprocket and case. Then pull the chain off and see if back wheel is free. You can use sparkplug socket on drive gear to turn engine over. Post lots of pictures

4. butre

butre Well-Known Member

I'm betting on the chain being bunched up under the cover if he said the chain looked shorter than normal

5. bryan mccain

bryan mccain New Member

another thing u can do is pull the plug out and see if it will roll.. the compression in the motor will stop if from moving. if thats the case then your clutch isnt working. and u can also manually push the clutch in istead of the cable to see if its going in far enough to disengage..

6. Christian Gastineau

It's a beach cruiser and is a 66cc.
    I feel like a blonde lol how do you post pictures on here?

7. Robot

Robot New Member

could be trouble check the kill switch first

8. Christian Gastineau

Okay, I had a guy come check it out and it was the clutch. It was missing the little screw that locks it in. Runs great now! Thanks everyone!

9. David Bogle

David Bogle Member

IMG_20160327_194713.jpg
    (Clutch not releasing)
    I did a search for this problem just now because I have a bike with that issue and I'm wanting to repair it, happened while I was riding last year, the lever moves and the arm does as well but the clutch doesn't disengage, this also means that I can't start it again, do you suppose that this is the preload that I've read about?and if so do you know how to fix it? It is my first bike and I'd like to save it.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  10. skyash

skyash Active Member

The arms moving is the little rod pushing on the ball bearing? Take off the clutch cover to see if the clutch plate is moving. The spring under the plate might be stuck if the plate don't move when you pull the clutch in like come off the pads then you are stuck in gear . Or the ball bearing is stuck or gone the rod can where out and the ball bearing even the arm that is pushing the rod can where out on the end.

11. David Bogle

David Bogle Member

Yes it is stuck in gear, there's no pressure on the rod (bucking bar ?)and ball, that's how freely the arm moves. How do I unstick (get it out of gear?)

12. David Bogle

David Bogle Member

Before you push"post reply" select
    "Upload file" this will bring up a list of places to choose the file(photo) from, I select "documents" which takes me to another list where I choose "gallery"where my pics are stored, I then scroll through my pics until I find the one I need, select the pic it will then upload ,when it is done uploading you can then push "post reply".

13. skyash

skyash Active Member

Ok so we think the rod and ball bearing is ok now the big plate that comes in contact with the pads is it movein on and off the pads? The flower nut might be done up to much

14. David Bogle

David Bogle Member

I remember I did have the flower nut quite tight, I can't get to it until tomorrow, that's where I'll start, thank you for the help.