New BMP Combo Drive and Jackshaft Kit

BMP

Local time
4:29 AM
The new BMP Combo Drive is finally here! We have redesigned our friction drive kit to allow for conversion to chain drive. With our new belt powered or chain powered jackshaft kit you can easily and affordably convert to a quality chain drive setup. With the belt powered jackshaft the gear reduction is 2.86:1, and with the chain powered jackshaft the reduction is 3.38:1

With this versatile system the engine does not have to be removed and bolted on the opposite side of the engine channel when changing from friction drive to chain drive, the entire unit will simply be rotated 180 degrees (with friction drive the engine will be on the left side, and with chain drive the engine will be on the right side).....you don't even need to remove the drive roller from the drive shaft when converting to chain drive.

With chain power there is some chain noise, but with belt power the system is virtually silent and very smooth. There is very little drag when pedaling with either system, almost a non-factor. The kit comes with a belt/chain guard that covers the system nicely. The kit is well balanced with the weight of the engine on one side and the pulleys or sprockets on the opposite side. The kit comes with 2 extension brackets for the quick release skewer that bolt to the engine channel. The chain tension is quickly and easily adjusted with the quick release skewer. The chain sprocket as well as the entire unit can adjusted laterally for proper chain alignment.

The belt, sprockets, and pulleys used on the jackshaft kit are readily available here in the USA from many different manufacturers and vendors (or from us). This is helpful if you ever need to replace parts or wish to change gear reduction. The kit is versatile in what it can support for those of you who are more experienced or are interested in customizing.....it is an excellent building platform. With the chain powered jackshaft it has room for a larger 2nd sprocket if you desire more reduction than 3.25:1. For example, if you switched to a 30 tooth second sprocket this would make the gear reduction 3.75:1. There are many possiblities.

We have been test riding this quite a bit and it has exceeded our expectations. Please check out our website at www.bikemotorparts.com for more details and pictures of this exciting new kit. Attached are a few pics.

Attachments

• combokit2x.jpg
    combokit2x.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 2,462
  • combokit1x.jpg
    combokit1x.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 2,238
  • combokit4.jpg
    combokit4.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 2,641
  • combokit7x.jpg
    combokit7x.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 3,188
  • combokit5x.jpg
    combokit5x.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 2,055
  • combokit6x.jpg
    combokit6x.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 2,014
  • combokit8x.jpg
    combokit8x.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 2,417
Last edited:
nice!!! Look fantastic... Now you have taken your kits to another level.

Last edited:
Thank you ballermj23...we are very excited about the new kit, especially because it rides even better than we thought when we first drew up the plans. I know you sent me a PM regarding comptability if you have our old friction kit. Since it will be a common question I figured I'd answer it in public.

Unfortunately if you have our old kit you will not be able to use the jackshaft kit. One of the main changes was the addition of another set of bearing holes in the engine channel for the jackshaft, as well as making it 11" instead of 10". We also made the drive shaft longer to accomodate the pulley/sprocket and added a set screw flat.

The only way you can upgrade is to get the new engine channel, plus you would need the longer drive shaft. Although this is not ideal, you can probably use the old drive shaft even though it is a little short.....this is because it still has enough length to grab the set screw on the pulley or sprocket, you would just need to file out a set screw flat.

Last edited:
Awesome, man. That is the best thing you could've done to the kit.

How do you tighten/loosen the belt or chain, from engine drive to jackshaft?

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, man. That is the best thing you could've done to the kit.

How do you tighten/loosen the belt or chain, from engine drive to jackshaft?

The 21" V-Belt used is a perfect fit, no tensioner is needed and you cannot adjust the tension. To install it you need to have the engine pulley secured to the drive shaft and the larger pulley in hand. Next you place the belt around both pulleys, then pull it tight and slide it on the jackshaft - it can be a little tricky at first but once you do it a few times it's easy.

As of now no tensioner is used on the chain jackshaft either....the chain fits well without it. The current sprocket combo is 8 teeth/27 teeth. There is a chance we may change that combo...if so we may need to add a chain tensioner

Thank you ballermj23...we are very excited about the new kit, especially because it rides even better than we thought when we first drew up the plans. I know you sent me a PM regarding comptability if you have our old friction kit. Since it will be a common question I figured I'd answer it in public.

Unfortunately if you have our old kit you will not be able to use the jackshaft kit. One of the main changes was the addition of another set of bearing holes in the engine channel for the jackshaft, as well as making it 11" instead of 10". We also made the drive shaft longer to accomodate the pulley/sprocket and added a set screw flat.

The only way you can upgrade is to get the new engine channel, plus you would need the longer drive shaft. Although this is not ideal, you can probably use the old drive shaft even though it is a little short.....this is because it still has enough length to grab the set screw on the pulley or sprocket, you would just need to file out a set screw flat.

Hey Jim,

I just bought your fd kit a month ago. (im from Palm Coast, FL btw)
The kit came delivered on time and promised. (still in box, not installed)
Thank you!

Congrats on your new chain/belt jackshaft adapter!

I think my engine channel is 10", -
is there anyway I can get the new fd kit with 11" engine channel to fit your new chain/belt jackshaft adapter?

Thank you. :)

Add:
Sorry Jim, Maybe a PM or email would have been more appropriate?

Last edited:
Hey Jim,

I just bought your fd kit a month ago. (im from Palm Coast, FL btw)
The kit came delivered on time and promised. (still in box, not installed)
Thank you!

Congrats on your new chain/belt jackshaft adapter!

I think my engine channel is 10", -
is there anyway I can get the new fd kit with 11" engine channel to fit your new chain/belt jackshaft adapter?

Thank you. :)

Hi Jerry,

Since you haven't installed the old kit I can exchange it for the new design if you can wait a few weeks. Right now I have limited stock and need to save them for sales.....I didn't want to manufacture too many this first run in case we had to make any changes to the new engine channel (it turns out we don't right now). We will probably run out of stock soon and it will be the end of this month before we have plenty in stock. I can do it then....if that doesn't work for you I would be able to give you a really nice deal on the new design when I have plenty of stock.

Thanks and let me know

Last edited:
Hi Jerry,

Since you haven't installed the old kit I can exchange it for the new design if you can wait a few weeks. Right now I have limited stock and need to save them for sales.....I didn't want to manufacture too many this first run in case we had to make any changes to the new engine channel (it turns out we don't right now). We will probably run out of stock soon and it will be the end of this month before we have plenty in stock. I can do it then....if that doesn't work for you I would be able to give you a really nice deal on the new design when I have plenty of stock.

Thanks and let me know

Thanks Jim,

No worries, i'll follow your lead. New kit for the new year!

Thanks again Jim!

For those of you who dont know, Jims contact info at BMP is:

Please email your questions to info@bikemotorparts.com

Mailing Address
BikeMotorParts.com
c/o Formula Bicycle Engines
936 Red Mill Rd.
Greenville, New York 12083 USA
Telephone: 518-772-4592

Last edited:
Jim,
The new kit is looking great & I'm sure will attract many avid MB fans for its versatility.
Happy Holidays,
-lowracer-

Back