New Build For The Wife

The 52cc HF pump engine is very powerful, way over listed 1.5 HP. Mine is stock engine without any works, after about 5 hrs pulls 320+ lb load on flat at steady 31 MPH with 1.25 BMP roller. (Calculated RPM about 8400 at 31 MPH)

It feels like it wants larger roller to cruise easy at 25-30 Mph at RPM midrange. Since BMP does not offer 1 3/8 roller I may go for 1.5 roller.

If you try that let me know how it works. Wife had a 1 3/8" with the TLE43 on the bike that was stolen. That was working good.

1 3/8 " should be better than 1.25 for the 52cc engine.

I let you know how 1.5 will do when I get it.

I've got a 1 1/2" also but was worried about the bottom end. I was originally running the 1 1/4" on the TLE43 but felt it was too low so I switched to the 1 3/8". After I went chain drive, the little lady inherited my drive unit.

Kerf's back. I ordered the clutch for my wife's bike on Nov. 18, it just arrived this afternoon. When Harbor Freight says 6-8 weeks, believe it. I ordered an extra clutch but what I got was 4 complete clutches. I don't know if it was my bad or they messed up but for $9, who cares. Quick as I start putting her together, I'll post more pictures and finish my thread.

I have had good luck using the HFT pump engine on pocket bikes, they are of decent quality and have good power. Your project has me thinking of building a friction drive bike. BMP kit with a HFT pump engine, or maybe even a "cag" pocket bike engine. (reed induction, dellorto knock off carb) Since Happy Times are quickly becoming a thing of the past, it is time to look into other ways of powering my bikes!

I noticed that these clutch shoes are somewhat narrow. Have you had any slippage issues?

I've always just re-used the clutch shoes from the old blown engine. For some reason, the clutches are pretty durable but the engines don't like to have the tar revved out of them for hours on end. :D (overall, low stress on the clutch I suppose)

One thing for sure is that the HFT clone engine is better than the clone engine supplied with the "APC" pocket bikes. (but the APC's had an electric starter/generator)

Well, it's together, couple of turns on the HS jet and we were off down the street. Clutch feels very good and it's quiet, engine is also pretty quiet. From my limited ride on a raw engine, seems like there's good power. It's 24 bloom'n degrees here for a high, riding isn't as much fun as it was last summer. Don't know when I'll test ride again but I will post pictures.

Back