New Burley Recumbent and Past TREK Cruiser

667_CNCJPEGsm_1.jpg

Detail:
Removable fenders on stock TREK CNC bike.
Stock 26 x 2.25 Bontrager tires. Aluminum port side-rail added to hang TREK carry bag; illumination carried but not installed until needed. I sold this beauty of a bike and the engine; could not bear to ruin the CNC. Only 200 sold in US. So!

Bought recumbent to power with Tanaka PF3300 engine (need a bit more power to get up hill to house) with current GEBE kit. Works like a charm.
667_CNC1A1sm_2.jpg

Handling at 25 MPH

To tell it as it is, I might go near 25 MPH but not usually.

On a bicycle not designed for power, that seems a bit chancy and it does show up in handling deficiencies in a number of ways.

Suffice it to say, you know it when you are at the bike's limits. Then there is the terrifying image of some dimwit opening a car door without looking back or a light runner, etc.

Yes, come on over, you can ride it.

Just thought of it, but I believe the rack on belt side could also be used to suspend on of those larger fuel cells noted in thread by "Pete" in Rack'em up!" under "Tanaka 32 or Robin... - Decided" topic. Way cool trailer too. He must be very talented fellow.

Just thought of it, but I believe the rack on belt side could also be used to suspend on of those larger fuel cells noted in thread by "Pete" in Rack'em up!" under "Tanaka 32 or Robin... - Decided" topic. Way cool trailer too. he must be very talented fellow

MB has psychic powers, I just asked about this on another topic......

MORE STUFF ON BENT IN

The Rack'm Up forum. And there is little blurb on Making Cable. I put into Rack'm by mistake and should be in tech section, I think.

BENT POWER

I finally took the bent for a ride. Still getting used to its quick steering. But, when I turned the little Tanaka 3300 on, the ride was better than I had planned.

The frame takes up most of the road shock and the reclined seating makes the ride very relaxing, to say the least.

The 2-cycle Tanaka is a bit louder than my former Honda GX25 and because the seat is closer to the motor, it certainly does make it noticeable, but not that bad.

Its larger clutch and power give it lots of zip and it took me up the hill with ease. This motor is a very nifty little power source.

I will likely employ a pipe and some sort of small muffler to mitigate the noise and move it away from my ear.

Am thinking of using a copper plumbing tube that is used to take the pounding out of water systems in some way. Will have to figure out way to fasten to current exhaust system, without radical adjustments.

Will pass this on when I get it on and it works.

Recumbents are comfy

Compared to my TREK, this new bent is a way better ride.

Frame soaks up impact shocks and my arms and wrists no longer ache after a longish ride. My back still loves me. And using pedal power is really a good way to move along, using the motor when tired or up the hill.

The only problem I have with the bent is getting going from stop. That is a bit tricky and the steering is different than on a DF frame, still, in time, that will not be problem.

Only ride that I can envision that may compare are the new CF frames from RANS, which seem to be a compromise between bents and DF frames. Am looking into one of these, out of curiosity, at this point.

If interested in a RANS, be sure to measure the frame for GEBE applications and that a 36-spoke wheel isneeded. Also, chose the front fork suspension model (MTB version) which allows rider to stand up on and lift-bum to take the whacks out of the seat when bumping about.

A new Rans is spendy...the bent is still my choice at moment.

CF? DF? RANS?

Do you start from a stop under pedal only or does your clutch allow power assist from a stop?

Is there a lot of drag when pedaling with the engine off?

Sorry for abbreviations

CF is crank forward, DF is diamond frame or "typical bicycle. LWB and SWB or long wheel base etc. RANS is brand name. Type in RANS and check site on WWW.

With GEBE system, it is best to get going a few cranks before adding power to save wear and tear on clutch and drive belt.

Bents are more tippy because with legs up a bit, it is harder to initiate quick rpms...but after it is going, the speed fast and is easy to maintain. Motor optional or rolled in after it gets going.

With my old DF set-up there was a bit of drag. With this, virtually none when belt is off tension, but there is the noise of the best moving, so I usually remove belt from gear and drive ring and free pedal until I want to use motor. Takes a few seconds to remove or replace, without removing the black GEBE cover.

Your Burley looks good. I hear that the unsteadiness as you start goes away with a little practice.

Recumbent Rider Update

Alaskavan, I am getting hang of starting out, but still a bit wobbly.

I added a better throttle control using a Sinz brake lever, which has return spring. Posted this in another thread - BMX Expert lever in red - avail from www.diamondedgesports.com .

Riding has been a blast, both with and without the motor. I can drive straight up the hills around my house without peddling now, but prefer to assist.

I like the comfortable ride, but miss the higher view as when on a DF bike riding near parked cars; but can't have everything, so I stay our of heavy traffic. Am still looking at those Rans CF bikes and may have to take one for a test spin as they seem the best of both worlds, maybe not for long rides though.

Regardless, nothing beats the comfort of the recumbent roll. I can go for longer rides and not feel as though my arms and back are about to fall off.

The steering is more like on a motorbike, meaning more of a lean to turn, and the radius is not as sharp, but this is not a hindrance.

Going up hill on a recumbent, with no motor, is not easy for me, in fact, I do not try it at all. Too hard. That is where the semi recumbent CF Rans bikes like the Citi and the Dynamik Trail do well. Add the Tanaka 3300; it is all smiles.

Natch, with motor going, the ride is a major kick, but I tend not to run the motor for the exercise...If you are a motor mostly rider, the recumbent is really a good choice to make, though a bit spendy and requires a bit more crafting to get things right and keep everything neat and simple.

And, here is pic of new throttle, I hope.

Attachments

• SinzThrottleSm.jpg
    SinzThrottleSm.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 604
Back