NEW BUYERS ! Would you buy one of these motors ??????

One thing I have noticed here is that some people expect these kits (HT or others, but mostly HTs) to be as simple to install and use as plugging in a new toaster and they do not want to have to know anything about tools, engines or basic machines. Those are the people who seem to get PO'ed and frustrated...usually their first post is some sort of problem and they are all mad about the whole thing.

Those people have unrealistic expectations and simply don't understand that there are design compromises at the price point involved and especially when it comes to mounting an engine to any number of different sized frames. If you just want something to snap together like Legos and you have no patience for having to do some engineering yourself, the inexpensive engines are probably not for you.

However, there are also many here who have engineered many things themselves, are willing to learn and do not expect perfection in a compromised product. Those people are generally happier.

I say all tha to say this- the issue of satisfaction or dissatisfaction with whatever engine you have is certainly a function of that engine's quality, but it is also a function of your expectations. If you want $500 quality for $200- you will be disappointed. No question about it. If you realize that $200 is not that much money for an engine, any engine, and you are willing to make it work. You will probably not be disappointed.

Then there are those who know exactly what a $200 engine is all about, have the ability, and spent more to avoid those issues inherent in the HT.

our more "inexperienced" members should take advantage of the huge wealth of info we've collected over the last 2 years, so that they can know what they're talking about...i know you don't think so, but we collected and organized that info for you. and for the most part, we've earned a bit more respect than some would give. nature of the internet i guess...noone would even try getting thru the door of a real-life garage without showing some respect for the guys who've set up the playground.

please, quit trying to keep the pot stirred while everyone else is trying to come to accords.

the MBc-Community rocks the house, we always work it out...learn it, live it.

Last edited:
The People that buy "consumers" are the ones that know what is best. If they are sold junk, they will soon know it and will no longer buy that product. Remember the late 70's early 80's? My point being, the American consumer is not stupid and in fact very smart with few exceptions. There are those.. But for the most part, American consumers are very smart and will not be sold Junk. Screw me once, shame on you . Screw me twice, shame on me. You know the saying...... If the 2 stroke motors are as some say, the market for them would have been squashed years ago. As a matter of fact, they were good then, and even better now and getting better all the time. If you buy from a reputable seller with warranty "backed warranty" then it is hard to lose and the rewards are great !! The inexpensive 2 strokes used for bicycles are a great choice for many and will continue to be the choice for many. How do we know this? Because Americans have voted them as being in the top as the most bang for the buck !! How do they vote? Well.. They vote with the most important voting ballot known, it is the good old fashioned green back !!! Enjoy the ride...

I don't think the American consumer is stupid. I DO think that many get confused about purchase price and total cost of ownership sometimes though. And given enough time of purchasing a cheaper, lower quality item the companies making and selling higher quality but more expensive item can't compete with the "cheaper is better" mentality and go out of business, leaving the consumer with only one choice - the cheap junk product. You get what you pay for, and pay for what you get.

Warner

The American Consumer is responsible for all this going around when it comes to prices of EVERYTHING you buy because were all out to save a buck.
If we were all doing the right thing, Wal Mart would close down,all the mom and pop stores will see a business and our economy would thrive because we don't have any affiliations in China because we are making our own products and stimulating our own economy.
What's happening now is our Factories are shutting down because they are moving to places like China so they can save money by cutting their pay and not having to worry about little things like health insurance and 401K. And then when China makes the products it all ends up at Wal Mart.

So let's never go to Wal Mart,K mart,Sams Club and Best Buy!!

Who's with me!!!!

(crickets)

ok... sounds good to me..

All that stuff sounds good to me.. But.. Back to the inexpensive 2 stroke motors, and the facts.. Facts? Well.. Here are the facts , I know personally of thousands of people with these inexpensive 2 stroke motors with thousands and thousands and thousands of miles on these motors. This is fact. I know of one guy who has over 8,000 miles on one of his so called.. Happy Time? Now named "good times" motor. and Yes.. 8000 plus miles is the exception. 4000-6000 miles is more the rule. And.. For people to get 4000-6000 miles on 200 bucks is a great payoff. There is none better. I am not sure why there are a non select few in the forum that wish to spout off opinions disguised as axioms. Why? What is their agenda? If people want chevys, fine.. IF they want Cadillacs, fine. There is a budget, price, and quality to suit all. The fact is this.. Americans do not buy Asian, American, or European. Americans buy what they want !!! Enjoy the ride....

All that stuff sounds good to me.. But.. Back to the inexpensive 2 stroke motors, and the facts.. Facts? Well.. Here are the facts , I know personally of thousands of people with these inexpensive 2 stroke motors with thousands and thousands and thousands of miles on these motors. This is fact. I know of one guy who has over 8,000 miles on one of his so called.. Happy Time? Now named "good times" motor. and Yes.. 8000 plus miles is the exception. 4000-6000 miles is more the rule. And.. For people to get 4000-6000 miles on 200 bucks is a great payoff. There is none better. I am not sure why there are a non select few in the forum that wish to spout off opinions disguised as axioms. Why? What is their agenda? If people want chevys, fine.. IF they want Cadillacs, fine. There is a budget, price, and quality to suit all. The fact is this.. Americans do not buy Asian, American, or European. Americans buy what they want !!! Enjoy the ride....

I'm not here to start any arguments, and I think people should buy whatever they are comfortable with and what they can afford. Having said that, I don't believe that one can say that the quality of the Chinese products are even close to the Japanese engines with American drive systems. There is a REASON that they are cheaper.

If $200 for 4-6 thousand miles is a good deal, how about $600 for 30 - 50 thousand miles, without having to make changes to the basic design to achieve that reliability?

I am partial to the Staton kit (which is why I ordered it), but I'm sure the GEBE kit has a similar track record of reliability and endurance. People will buy whatever they want for sure. Hopefully they will take the time to learn about what they are buying.

The Staton website states the following:

"We have current customers who have more than 50,000 + miles on our kits (gear box and rear custom hubs) and they are still running strong since 1984. The Robin - Subaru, Honda, Mitsubishi & Tanaka engines are rated for 600 + hours of use. We have had many of these engine run 2 & 3 times the rating. Engine life in miles. 600 hours @ 30 mph = 18,000 miles. Your engine could get as many as 54,000 miles or more. Our gear box will never need replaced and it's made to last a Life Time and them some."

Have fun!

Warner

to be clear...

My personal agenda is to see the eventual advent of an EPA-certified HT :cool:

to be fair...

i'll get in line to buy one, too...youbetcha! :cool: :cool:

Last edited:
ok Warner..

okokok.. How about 600usd for 800,000 miles? Now that would be even better.. or? Heck..Why stop there.. How about 3 million miles for 750? Sounds good to me..

okokok.. How about 600usd for 800,000 miles? Now that would be even better.. or? Heck..Why stop there.. How about 3 million miles for 750? Sounds good to me..

No need for me to engage in a silly and sensless argument with you. It's obvious that my points were made and understood based on the humorous tone of your response.

Have a nice day,

Warner

Back