New Clutches for Vintage Whizzers

Wayne Bertrand

Local time
8:45 PM
As I understand it Quenton has produced some automatic clutches for the old Whizzers. Undoubtedly they will be excellent as with everything he does.

I have a J engine so I was wondering...
  • what the conversion is like from original clutch to the new clutch?
  • does if fit under original belt guard?
  • do I need a new length of belt?
  • how much adjustment is needed to get tension right as I have very little room to move my motor back or forward.?
  • does this eliminate the need for the clutch lever?
Thanks for any info you might be able to give.

Wayne

Hi Guys, sorry for the delayed response, just finished unloading van from Portland motorbike show [been very busy].
Won first place people choice Open Motorbike [Twin engine Whizzer].
Conversion from original clutch is very simple. Remove original [either manual or automatic] clutch, install new mounting bolt in arm. Install clutch on new mounting bolt, install belts, adjust belt tension, ride motorbike.
Original cover will fit, if early coil guard [early "H"] may need to add a couple small washers between guard and coil guard.
Clutch comes with new primary belt [AX25], and 99% of the time rear belt fit correctly, a few have had to replace rear belt [if stretched], and suggest 1" shorter belt if replacement is necessary.
Output pulley is smaller and requires moving motor forward [1/2"], and the wheel as far back as possible. If you don't have much adjustment room, then might be wise to start with 1" shorter rear belt. Belts can be ordered from most auto parts strores [NAPA, Advance Auto, Pep Boys, etc] Always use AX belts, never FHP belts.
Kiss clutch lever "goodbye", as no longer needed, clutch has large 3 section one-way bearing to allow peddle starting.

Have fun,

That's awesome information Quenton!

I will have to look at my frame and see how much room I have to adjust. The J motor was installed on and Elgin 4 Star frame and I have very little room to move motor back or forth.

cheers..... Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Clutch will fit, only question is will current belt work or will you need to use shorter belt. I just installed one of the new clutches on a "J" motor in a 1950 Schwinn DX [straight bar] frame with very little room for adjustment. The fit is so close that I wasn't able to install a hi-fin head as some of the fins hit the lower bar. The bike had an AX62 and I had to install an AX61 belt and the motor and rear wheel maintained their original position. I also installed the "taller" ratio clutch on my 1949 Pacemaker and was able to move motor forward approx. 1/4" and use the original belt. The test clutch I installed on my Pacemaker is 8.5 X 1 and it easily found it's way to 50 MPH on 24" wheels. It managed to exceed 6000 RPMs, a little over 50 MPH, with a new clutch, and a newly rebuilt modified "J" motor . Clutch didn't mind the abuse, in fact it seated in rather quickly. Nice to work on Whizzers without worrying about belt tension, clutch cable adjustments, clutch failures, etc., and can spend time on tuning the motor.

Have fun,

50mph?! I would be scared to death of going that fast on my Whizzer!

However would be nice to have an easier low speed start out, better hill climbing. Not really worried about top speed.

How do I go about ordering one? Do i go to EZ bike website

Cheers....Wayne

Hi Wayne,
Best to contact me via email quincy163@yahoo.com.

Sadly all I can do is put you on the waiting list [running about 2 weeks behind] as we had no idea these clutch drives would become so popular. We started making the drive about 3 years ago for the new edition Whizzers and still have problems filling all the orders. To make matters worse I was talked into making the clutch drives for vintage Whizzers along with the new edition versions. The vintage clutches have the pulleys side by side and required a complete new design. We have shipped hundreds of the these American made clutches, and have avoided advertising because we are having a difficult time keeping up with the demand.

The majority of my personal Whizzer collection will exceed 50 MPH, however I normally ride most of the time at 35 to 40 MPH. One of my bikes "Terry's Toy" will pass 80 MPH but has 2 Whizzer motors in line, however I don't ride it on the street.

Have fun,

Back