New Engine, Ran for one day, now the clutch is not working.

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by lukasd2009, Jun 20, 2008.

1. lukasd2009

lukasd2009 New Member

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE SOMEONE HELPING ME FIX MY BIKE, I JUST LOVE RIDING IT SO MUCH!!!

Okay, I'm going to keep this as simple as possible... I started pedaling ( while holding down the clutch lever ) I let go and nothing, it will not turn the engine, the sprocket in the engine is spinning freely even when the clutch lever is not being held down.. PLEASE HELP!!!

MBC EDIT: THIS THREAD HAS BEEN MOVED

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2008

2. Does the clutch rod move when you pull the lever?

3. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

Take your clutch cover off. See if the clutch gear and pinion turn. If they both turn and your motor is not turning over you have sheared the key on the crank shaft. If they do not turn but your bike still rolls then there is something wrong with the clutch or you have sheared the key on the engine chain sprocket.

4. crabdance

crabdance Member

good luck man.. hope you get everything worked out. What a terrible thing to happen when you first get your bike going. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for ya.

cd

5. lukasd2009

lukasd2009 New Member

Okay I put a pic of my clutch on here to better demonstrate because I'm not familiar with the terminology yet.

CLUTCH LEVER NOT BEING HELD DOWN... EVERYTHING SPINS ( but the center part of the small sprocket )

CLUTCH LEVER DOWN.... NOTHING SPINS BUT THE SILVER PLATE

Attached Files:

6. fatboy67

fatboy67 Member

Sorry I miss read some thing here I have edited my quote

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  7. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

OK so with the clutch out you say everything spins but your motor is not turning over? If that is your symptom then your woodruff key is probably sheared. This key is a small piece of metal that locks the little gear to the crank shaft. This is not an uncommon occurrence. To replace it remove the large bolt with a large flat head screw driver. Use the funny little tool that should have come with your kit to remove the small gear. You should be able to find a replacement key at most hardware or lawnmower shops.

8. fatboy67

fatboy67 Member

Hi if you do have to replace your woodruff key this link may help you as you will have to take your flywheel off. Thats if it's the woodruff key in your flywheel. I did a woodruff key in the little drive gear that drives the flywheel.
    Anyway heres that link http://motoredbikes.com/showthread.p...light=flywheel.

Hope it can be some help.

9. fatboy67

fatboy67 Member

Sorry that link doen't seem to work I'll try it again.

10. lukasd2009

lukasd2009 New Member

Hey if this helps the diagnosis I tightened the nut on the the small sproket and put the cover back on. The clutch seemed to be working fine again. I hopped on and got the engine running, then I could tell it wasn't running exactly smoothly. It was getting little to no power to the rear wheel. Maybe the clutch is also slipping..? Btw its right back where it was, where everything free spins..

11. fatboy67

fatboy67 Member

12. lukasd2009

lukasd2009 New Member

Doesn't work again... sorry. About this clutch adjusting how do I go about that. Also earlier they said I might need to replace a pin, On which wheel the small one or big one?

13. fatboy67

fatboy67 Member

14. fatboy67

fatboy67 Member

If you go to zbox.com.au and click on the tips. I think it's the first one it shows how to adjust your clutch.

15. lukasd2009

lukasd2009 New Member

Thanks so much guys. I still cant find this woodruff key or where it goes. I did find some small chunks of metal in the bottom of the case though...

16. fatboy67

fatboy67 Member

If you look at the last couple of pics in that link I posted, you can see a small slot in the shaft. and also if you look at the flywheel you can see the cruve in the centre. The woodruff keys are about 2mm thick,10mm long 10mm high. They are half moon shaped.
    Did you go to the zbox site and check out the tips area for adjusting your clutch???

17. fatboy67

fatboy67 Member

Also have you got one of those black tools that are meant to come with your kit??? Black tool is a pulling tool for removing sprokets etc.

18. fatboy67

fatboy67 Member

If you take your clutch cover off and have the motor running and then try your clutch DOES the little drive gear the one that drives your fly wheel does that one spin. I'm talking about the outside of it the teeth bit. For if it doesn't then you must have done a woodruff key in that drive gear, but if it does turn then it would be the one in the flywheel. If you have it in gear and the flywheel spins but the brass centre plate/pressure plate does not then you may just need to adjust your clutch.

19. lukasd2009

lukasd2009 New Member

I can't get it to run as of now... Also I have no way to idle it but thats another issue.. I don't think I have that tool though...

20. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

Ok so it is the woodruff key on the small sprocket, that is why when you tightened the screw it worked for a while and is now spinning again. I have attached of photo of the small sprocket and where the woodruff key goes. The little metal shavings you found in the clutch case were pieces of the key.

Attached Files: