New Engine, Ran for one day, now the clutch is not working.

lukasd2009

Local time
12:34 PM
I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE SOMEONE HELPING ME FIX MY BIKE, I JUST LOVE RIDING IT SO MUCH!!!

Okay, I'm going to keep this as simple as possible... I started pedaling ( while holding down the clutch lever ) I let go and nothing, it will not turn the engine, the sprocket in the engine is spinning freely even when the clutch lever is not being held down.. PLEASE HELP!!!

MBC EDIT: THIS THREAD HAS BEEN MOVED

Last edited by a moderator:
Take your clutch cover off. See if the clutch gear and pinion turn. If they both turn and your motor is not turning over you have sheared the key on the crank shaft. If they do not turn but your bike still rolls then there is something wrong with the clutch or you have sheared the key on the engine chain sprocket.

good luck man.. hope you get everything worked out. What a terrible thing to happen when you first get your bike going. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for ya.

cd

Okay I put a pic of my clutch on here to better demonstrate because I'm not familiar with the terminology yet.

CLUTCH LEVER NOT BEING HELD DOWN... EVERYTHING SPINS ( but the center part of the small sprocket )

CLUTCH LEVER DOWN.... NOTHING SPINS BUT THE SILVER PLATE

Attachments

• 06-21-08_0945.jpg
    06-21-08_0945.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 289
Okay I put a pic of my clutch on here to better demonstrate because I'm not familiar with the terminology yet.

CLUTCH LEVER NOT BEING HELD DOWN... EVERYTHING SPINS ( but the center part of the small sprocket )

CLUTCH LEVER DOWN.... NOTHING SPINS BUT THE SILVER PLATE

Sorry I miss read some thing here I have edited my quote

Last edited:
OK so with the clutch out you say everything spins but your motor is not turning over? If that is your symptom then your woodruff key is probably sheared. This key is a small piece of metal that locks the little gear to the crank shaft. This is not an uncommon occurrence. To replace it remove the large bolt with a large flat head screw driver. Use the funny little tool that should have come with your kit to remove the small gear. You should be able to find a replacement key at most hardware or lawnmower shops.

Hey if this helps the diagnosis I tightened the nut on the the small sproket and put the cover back on. The clutch seemed to be working fine again. I hopped on and got the engine running, then I could tell it wasn't running exactly smoothly. It was getting little to no power to the rear wheel. Maybe the clutch is also slipping..? Btw its right back where it was, where everything free spins..

Back