New engine won't start

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by 219cohen, May 29, 2009.

1. 219cohen

219cohen New Member

Hey everyone, I bought an 80cc 2 stroke HT engine kit from daoji888 (yong xing machine zone) on ebay.
    Before starting the project I had no HT motorized bicycle experience and I think this is part of the problem.
    I have done a lot of research on this site before posting as a final resort. Everything is installed on my beach cruiser bike, I took it to the top of a hill and pedalled down as fast as I could while releasing the clutch. I can hear and feel the piston going up and down but it won't start. I have checked the wires, black to black and blue to blue and i didn't bother installing the kill switch. I had 1 litre of unleaded with about 60ml of 2 stroke oil 16:1 ratio.
    I flooded the carb the first time so i held the tinker down to drain the gas. my main concern was i didn't think any gas was getting into the motor from the carb because the spark plug seemed dry when i took it out. now i think the cdi isn't working to produce the spark but i'm not sure... any suggestions please?

2. BSA

BSA Guest

I have the exact same kit :D
    Check for spark by pulling your plug out, grounding it and turn the wheel.

I could be something as silly as your fuel valve is still off (i should know it's happened to me god knows how many times lol)
    BTW Most times a machine wont wont start because of the ignition system.
    good luck

BSA

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2009
  3. Junster

Junster Member

Ok the tickler puts gas in the carb not drains it. Do the spark test like BSA said, with the plug out the motor will turn pretty easy.

4. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

Use the search engine, lots of posts covering this topic in greater detail.

5. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

WHY didn't I think of that 7 weeks ago !!

I finally won the battle of the riding mower after 7 weeks ! We only move the car once per week, Fridays for groceries.

First mow of the season I recharge the battery, but got zilch when I turned the key. The guy I bought it from lives nearby, came out and jump started it with a pair of pliers on the two posts of the solenoid.

I go in Friday and buy/install a new solenoid.

no change.

Next week I buy a 30% more powerful battery. (the old one was 7 years old, needed it anyway.)

no change.

Then I buy 2 switches, for the blade and clutch.

no change. (but got a refund on one unopened switch.)

Then I buy the ignition switch, have my neighbor use his tester, BINGO, discharges on the ground wire at ignition.

But when I open the bag on the new ig. switch, its four prongs, I need five.

Yesterday, as usual, it's the LAST thing you do that works.

Insult to injury, my buddy Bill called last nite, and when I started explaining my 7 week lawnmower struggle, ignition switch was the first thing he said.

(the new blades are longer than the old ones, however, and I cut 1/3 of my time and gas consumption on the 2 acres I have to mow .)

6. 219cohen

219cohen New Member

Well I finally managed to fix the problem of starting my engine...
    turns out i hadn't set up the throtle correctly.
    I can't believe how much fun these kits are. I had a 4 stroke 33cc engine last year but this engine makes that look like carp.
    I only wish these were road legal in the uk...