New From New England (MA)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by bkohler4, Apr 30, 2008.

1. bkohler4

bkohler4 New Member

Hello. I am from the New England area (MA) and am looking for a cheap way to get around this summer. I am looking for dealers in the area, and a bike around the $400 to $600 price range.

I would also like a bike with pegs instead of pedals. From reading the forum it seems like those are not technically motorized bikes but I don't know what else they are.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. graucho

graucho Active Member

Hi bkohler4. Welcome to MBc!
    Are you trying to keep the bike style, or do you need a vespa or scooter?

If you search and are unable to find your answers, don't hesitate to post your question. Someone will steer you to a link, or reply to your question. Were here for each other! Enjoy! :grin:}
    Here's a great crash course post "link" to get you started.
    http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=10392

3. bkohler4

bkohler4 New Member

I'd like to keep the bike style more than a vespa or a moped. Something along the lines of the picture attached. The big difference would be that I'd be interested with a bike that did not use pedals, and rather had pegs.

p.s. thank you for the link to the crash course

Attached Files:

4. loquin

loquin Active Member

Welcome, bkohler.

The problem is that if the bike has pegs instead of pedals, it has no means of human-powered propulsion, and is therefore a motorcycle.

A WHOLE different set of laws apply, including requirement for lights, emissions, safety equipment, etc.

5. bkohler4

bkohler4 New Member

I am from from Massachusetts. "According to massachusetts law a "motorized bicycle" (also known as a moped) is defined as a pedal bicycle which has a helper motor, or a non pedal bicycle which has a motor."

so if it had pedal assistance or not it would still fall into the same category for me to register.

I am interested in "a non pedal bicycle which has a motor." Any guidance on this topic is very much appreciated.
    Thank you

6. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Welcome to MBc. Well... if you just have an aversion to pedals... I guess there are a couple of things I could say in the way of guidance. 1. You will need something that has a pull-start, kick-start, or electric start. And 2. You will need something that will get you moving from a standing start.
    Someone makes a pull-start that will attach to a Happy Time engine, but the clutch might not handle pulling you from a start without excessive wear. A pocket bike engine, a 50cc 4-stroke, or something more performance oriented would probably work. I think I'm the only one around here running an electric start, but in my particular application, I didn't have concerns about weight or width.
    Hope this helps.

7. BSA

BSA Guest

Welcome to the forum.

BSA

8. Abeagle

Abeagle Guest

Welcome to MBc. :cool: