New from Tallahassee, Florida

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by sam03v, Jun 9, 2008.

1. sam03v

sam03v New Member

I'll be building a motorized bike using an old steel(no suspension)Trek mountain bike. I think its a 970 model, maybe 950. The motor should arrive this week.

I have a ~40 mile round trip commute to work each day so I was hoping I can ride the bike a few times each week. The ride is asphalt the whole way, a 18 mile straight shot down a rural 55mph road with a wide space between the shoulder and white line, but will be littered with the usual stuff on the sides of roads..gravel , sticks etc. Then I have to navigate a few city streets. Any suggestions out there on what brand/style of tires to use? Right now I've got all terrian knobbies (26 x 2.1) and I'm assuming they will vibrate like crazy on the asphalt at speed.

I'm also concerned about getting pulled over, since I see sheriff patrol cars often during my daily commute. I'm still not totally clear on the rules in the sunshine state. I see people riding bikes occasionally on this road, but not too often, so I definitely will get a second glance. Anyone in the Northwest Florida area have good or bad experiences with the blue lights?

Thanks for reading!

2. ransrider

ransrider New Member

Check into the Specialized tire lineup. they make one with what they call "armadillo technology" - there is a kevlar belt in the tire to reduce cuts and slices. look at "hemisphere armadillo" or "crossroads armadillo". i have an older version of the hemisphere - works great.
  3. dbigkahunna

dbigkahunna Guest

Welcome to MBc from the Giant Side of Texas!
  4. litespeed

litespeed New Member

5. Marktur

Marktur Member

Welcome from Boynton Beach, FL!

Since we ride with unmarked motors, if you get pulled over, it's 49cc. Other than that, you're perfectly legal.
  6. loquin

loquin Active Member

Welcome to mbc. What kind of kit are you getting?
  7. sam03v

sam03v New Member

Kit type

I just received the kit from King's motors. Hopefully I'll have it put together this weekend...

thanks for the replies
  8. Marktur

Marktur Member

Welcome from Boynton Beach, FL!
  9. Welcome from the Treasure Coast.....
  10. macarollo

macarollo Guest

Welcome from Tallahassee, FL.

What part of town do you live on?

I just built a motored bike and have been trying to break it in. How has your experience been so far?
  11. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

we keep this up and we will have to start a florida group.
  12. sam03v

sam03v New Member

Experience so far

I bought a chineese motor kit and know I've wasted money on better things but can't think of what at the moment.

I had to replace the stock clutch cable with a custom make from a bike shop and use the existing hand brake lever on my bike to get an easier to pull clutch. I also had to modify the clutch lever (the one on the engine) because the head of the little screw that holds the cable in place broke. So I drilled it out and re-tapped with a 10-32, also put a locking nut under the bolt head to lock it in place. Then, I broke the clutch operating shaft while tightening the acorn nut that holds the clutch lever in place. I wasn't overtightening these items they were just cheap metal. (I'm an mechanical engineering tech. so I work with my hands/tools for a living) Anyway, I'm still getting trying to get the chain aligned properly, so I haven't even broken the engine in yet.

I don't have high hopes for this thing. And living Florida we have sand everywhere so I expect things to wear out quickly. Mostly I expect the crankshaft seal and or bearing to go as sand accumulates behind the drive gear. i thought about making some kind of chain cleaner to mount on the chain, but I'm not sure I want to spend the energy on this POS!

Sorry for the less than cheery response.

Enjoy the rain this weekend!
  13. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Hello from Tampa Bay Florida..I have a 48cc motor from Kings ,sounds like its fallin apart but after 50 miles its running good....replace any/all bolts that take any stress. I am working on getting a good set of tires now...I think the Armidillo Hemispheres
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009