New guy from Birmingham, Al

rmcelroy

Local time
6:12 AM
New guy here. I have been to MB.com before, but never joined. I saw some converted beach cruisers out at a camp ground a couple weeks ago, and renewed my interest. I have worked on my own cars over the years but I'll be reading here to learn about this new to me form of transport.

Later

Welcome, are you from Birmingham or the surrounding area?
Have you decided on what engine you will be using?
Is this bike like the one you saw?

Calera, AL
Ron

Last edited:
Alabaster actually

Ron, Ive seen some of your posts and pics before, I seem to remember you have a nice shop to work from.

I'm actually from Alabaster, I had family in Calera spent a lot of my youth roaming around trick or treating and going over to Mars hill, thats what they called it anyway. I learned to swim at the pool close to the DQ. Lots of memories in Calera.

I havn't really made any hard choices, it seems to me a 4 stroke would be better....but I got a lot to learn. The bikes I saw looked more like pre builts from a couple different sites, I saw them at Tannehill.

RMc

Last edited:
Yea, some people say they are from Birmingham, I guess they say it as it's the largest city around. Alabaster, now that's better, only 5-10 miles up the road, depending where you reside. Been to Alabaster, and Montevello on the bikes. Also ride Oak Mountain State park (to the top), now that's a nice ride. Would hate to go to Columbia as 70 is not the road to ride, and 25 isn't much better.. I live off of CR22, 1 mile west of US31.
Should you need help, I'm just down the road.

Here are important questions to consider when building for yourself or others:

1) What is the predominant riding terrain?
2) What type of physique does the primary rider have?
3) What will the rider's local laws allow and require them to have?
(Lookup and personally read these laws.)
4) What kind of bike is being motorized?
5) What is the bike to be used for?
6) How much of a budget is to be used for the build?

Seek the answers to these questions in order to get the most out of the bike you're building. We're here to help with any questions you may have. Good luck with your build.

Back