New guy from illinois! already have a problem!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by 4rings, Apr 16, 2010.

1. 4rings

4rings New Member

Hi everyone! My name is Giuseppe, I just bought a grubee skyhawk 48cc slant head. A few friends and I got it together and now it doesn't work anymore. I haven't even taken it down the road. After getting everything ready for the first run I started it up and it revved into oblivion. After i shut it off it wouldnt start again. After looking at it I noticed that the blue wire from the CDI was plugged into the white engine wire and the black was plugged into the blue engine wire. I repaced the cdi and the spark plug and it still wont start. I think it burned out the magneto, but i dont know how to replace it? HELP!

2. professor

professor Active Member

Take the spark plug out, hold it on the engine somewhere handy, crank over the engine and see if it has a spark going across the end of the spark plug. If not. disconnect the kill switch- crank the engine again. If the ignition is OK you should see a spark- best to do it out of sunlight. You should hear the spark too. If no spark- repeat with a brand new plug.

Does the engine feel like it has compression? When you rotate it?

3. 4rings

4rings New Member

I got it running! thanks for the help professor. It was gas, i was getting too much. I don't really know too much about carbs so it took a lot of fiddleing to get it to run. My exhaust gasket got ripped in the process, is there a torque spec on the gasket, so I dont destroy the new gasket?