New guy from Michigan

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by tirebiter, Dec 13, 2006.

1. tirebiter

tirebiter Guest

Hi I'm George from SW Michigan. I go to Bonneville every year and help out with a race car and a pit vehicle of some kind is a necessity out there. The starting line is 4 miles from where we pit so a motor bike is perfect. I built one early last winter but a friend saw it and wanted it bad enough he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. This is the second one I built and I've put quite a few miles on it so far. It's a 48cc but it pulls my 230 lbs around pretty good. I had an 80cc on it but the 48 is almost as fast and doesn't vibrate so much. I just putt at about half speed anyway.

[​IMG]

2. Steve

Steve Guest

Hey George, welcome to the forum. Good to see you over here, and the bike looks great!

SteveH from T&TTT

3. Tom

Tom Active Member

oh man that is such a sick looking picture...

4. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

completely ga-roo-vy bike, tirebiter 8)

so, whatta ya think, should we all converge on "the flats" someday?

5. OMG that bike looks sweet - I would love to open mine up on a big open flat like that...

6. tirebiter

tirebiter Guest

Hi Steve, and thanks guys. I've had a lot of fun with this bike. I'd like to start working on a chopper type bike this winter if I find time.

There was quite a few bikes with engines on them on the salt this year. These bikes are some friends that were pitted next to us. I think a couple of them are Nirves. The motorcycle is a 60 something Jawa. There is about anything you can think of with a motor on it out there.

[​IMG]

7. Steve

Steve Guest

Hey George, e-mail me...I'd like to tell you some stories about trying to put a motor on a chopper bike. You really need to know this stuff!

8. tirebiter

tirebiter Guest

Yeah, I saw that you had quite a time with your bike. I'm just using a Stingray that I got for $25 on Black Friday last year. They're not too bad to make work. I've got the offset mount and I'll bolt the sprocket to the rear hub. A little cutting and welding and I don't know what I'll come up with. Here's a pic of it when I was building a setback seat post so the saddle sits where I want it to. I was just mocking things up to get ideas. I've got a few different front ends I can use. The one I'll probably use is a springer I got from Alan at Choppers US. I want to use some really tall and wide ape hangers. I plan to work on it this winter if i get time. I'm working on a camping trailer when I can too.

[​IMG]

9. nogoodnic42

nogoodnic42 Guest

Hey George, good to see you here. That is a great pic of the Nirves in Bonnaville, I currently working on somthing simmilar. On your chopper project, You may run into size problems with your Choppers US fork. Their fork an 1 1/8" and I think that the Stingray headtube is 1" although it would look cool as hell on there....Kelly

10. tirebiter

tirebiter Guest

Hi Kelly :D The stingray head tube is 1 1/8. I've had the front end on the bike and it looks pretty good. The only problem I've got running it is that I'll be running the bike on the salt and that is too nice of a front end to get salt on it. I might set it up with two different sets of forks...one for Bonneville and the springer for everything else. Haven't decided yet. :? I'll probably clear a spot in the shop and do some work on the bike after Christmas.

I know you got one of those springers on the same sale I did. Have you put it on a bike yet?

11. nogoodnic42

nogoodnic42 Guest

I'm either going to put it on my Nirve Deviate if its long enough or its going on my Whizzer boardtracker. It would get more use on the chopper with the nice polished roundhead that I got from Jerick on it that is in the works. I'll keep you posted...Kelly

12. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

Hey George,

Next Monday, I'm about to point a lot of newspaper reporters toward this site, and was hoping you'd come over to the Travel Part, post a Michigan map, then tell about your Bonneville trips.

Reporters aren't going to look at all the topics, and it's getting a little "full of bamabullshoot", I'd like these reporters to get a more "rounded" view of the MB phenomenon.

paul

p.s. This goes for everybody else too, get those maps posted, short travel is as good as long travel, and even a 25 mile jaunt has a sense of adventure.

Thank you for your time and consideration. :grin:

13. Wheels

Wheels Guest

Hi George, is that a FT reference in your handle? nice builds!

wheels

14. Blaze

Blaze Guest

Nice bike!

I like the bike you built. Let me know if you build the chopper bike. I'm curious to see how everybody motorizes those Nirves. There are two of us on here with Switchblades, and another guy getting ready to build a Deviate. It's interesting to see how people sove the engineering problems faced by putting a motor on these bikes.

15. nogoodnic42

nogoodnic42 Guest

I think there are two of us now with Diviate projects in progress right now...Kelly

16. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

OMG! now we have to build a deviate forum, too!!?? :eek:

will it ever end? :lol:

17. tirebiter

tirebiter Guest

Yup. Probably not many people would know that.....George Tirebiter.....Porgy and Mudhead.....Nick Danger... I had a lot of Firesign Theater albums in the early 70's.

18. Wheels

Wheels Guest

Don't eat with your hands son, use your entrenching tool.

wheels

19. psuggmog

psuggmog Guest

Hey, tirebiter, I lived in an old bus for several years and used to be visited by bozos quite regularly. I was the resident bozo. When I finally parked the bus, it was on Whidbey Island. Some years later, David Osmann moved here. While I never see him on the local buses, but I do see him at the grocery store. There was a FT reunion of sorts here a few years ago. They did a performance at our local performong arts center.
    There has been quite a tradition of old clunker bikes at Bonneville.