New guy, hope to build a bike soon (some eye candy)

cafejon

Local time
3:00 PM
hey guys, I'm Jon. i am building a cb360 caferacer motorcycle right now. but i have an old hawthorne bike that i really want to put a motor on. honestly i dont really know where to start. i have a lot to learn about building a motorized bicycle. not sure which motors are good. i have an idea of how i want it to look. anyway here is my cafe racer
9d242614.jpg

and here is my hawthorne
shot_1320447108260.jpg

shot_1319841102923.jpg

i am sure i will have a ton of questions once i get into it, but for now i am finishing up my honda. look forward to meeting you guys in the forum.

Here are important questions to consider when building for yourself or others:

1) What is the predominant riding terrain?
2) What type of physique does the primary rider have?
3) What will the rider's local laws allow and require them to have?
(Lookup and personally read these laws.)
4) What kind of bike is being motorized?
5) What is the bike to be used for?
6) How much of a budget is to be used for the build?

Seek the answers to these questions in order to get the most out of the bike you're building. We're here to help with any questions you may have. Good luck with your build.

I saw the first time thread and read over these.
1)I am looking to just ride on paved roads, some small hills
2)I am 5'10 165ish lbs
3) not sure what the rules are for riding on a military base yet
4)gonna use my old hawthorne
5) gonna use it as a little runnabout/ ride to work every now and again.
6) meh.. i will probably spend way to much on this.

Welcome to the forum. You can post a lot more info and pics about your cafe racer in the White Zone sub-forum. Most anything goes there. I am working on making a cafe racer out of my 1969 Honda Super 90. I will likely put a 150 Lifan mill in it.

I forgot to mention the bicycle. I have successfully run a 26X1-3/8 wheel on my motorbike (like the wheels on your bike) and it held up OK. Mountain bike tires (26X2, 26X2.125, 26X1,75) will not fit those rims: only 26X1-3/8 tires.

Awesome! thanks for the tips! i really dont know where to begin. i am leaning towards a two stroke... chinese? id like to think i would be happy with a 48cc, but i always want more power.. no idea which kits are good, and which suck. which are easy to work on and which are a pain. i like the idea of doing a low budget board tracker style out of it. im sure itll get out of hand at some point. but id like to start off by getting a motor on it. any recomendations or could you point me toward a thread that goes over the pros and cons and whats a good place to start.? i will for sure post some pictures of my cafe bike over in the white zone! thanks for the heads up! and please any advice you can give is welcome!

Back