Sprockets New guy intro: Inquiry about double sprocket.

weedwhacked

Local time
3:50 AM
Hi I'm Weedwhacked a Dad of Two Boys ages 12+14:
I want to build machines with and for my boys that feature a sprocket on both sides of the rear wheel so as to accomodate the motorized drive chain (on the port side) as well as the standard pedaled sprocket(on starboard). Ideally the motor driven sprocket would (in ratchet fashion) only turn the axle when moving faster that the wheel so to facilitate coasting/ pedaling without necessarily having the engine running. Boys run out of gas and get inspired to do some work, just don't want it to be a drag. Also would like to make a feature that decelerates the engine when brakes are applied, any Ideas/plans/ links would be appreciated particularly regarding what is available in the way of left-side sprocket.

Good idea on having a ratcheting sprocket. That would eliminate the excess drag that exists when pedaling without the motor running.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I used aluminum sprockets on my Kawaski that I used to race in mud and sand. It held up just fine although not as long lasting as a steel sprocket.

Back