New guy with basic questions

Tay

Local time
9:46 PM
Hey everyone, I have recently become very interested in turning my 26" Mongoose Sahara into a MB but I have no experience with it so I have a few basic questions. If all you experts out there could answer them and give me some advice that would be great. Keep in mind my main reason for going with a MB is because it is cheaper than a car, so as far as parts go I'm looking for cost-efficiency.

1. Are there certain kinds of tires I should get?
2. What is a good motor under 50cc?
3. Should I start out with a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke?
4. Do I need better brakes than the standard ones that come with the bike?
5. What is your best estimate for the total $ investment in this?

That's all I can think of for now. If you have any other wit and wisdom for me I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

1. Are there certain kinds of tires I should get? Any tire with kevlar and you should consider a thicker tire tube that has slime. My tire tubes are 2x thicker than a normal one and have slime in them. So far have had good luck with only one flat in past 3 years.
2. What is a good motor under 50cc? Depends on if you want a frame mounted or rack mounted engine. Honda 50cc, Titan single speed frame mounted engines would be a good starting point.
3. Should I start out with a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke? Depends on your preference and type of engine mount/location you desire.
4. Do I need better brakes than the standard ones that come with the bike? If all you have are coaster brakes, then yes, add some other brakes. I use standard pads on rim brakes with no issues. disk brakes would be best but not feasible to add on due to cost unless your bike already has them.
5. What is your best estimate for the total $ investment in this? depend....anywhere from 200 dollars to 800 dollars.

Back