New here and to motorized bikes, so help please if you can!!!

LordOzmodeus

Local time
8:50 PM
Hello Motored bikes forum! My name is Richard and im from St. John's, Newfoundland in Canada! its great to be here on what seems to be a very excellent and productive forum! Here is my story. I'm 19 years old and due to a recent accident with my car, i CANNOT afford to have a car for atleast another 5 years, which is cool by me. So i've decided to build a motorized bike! so id like some advice on the best kind of frames, the best ways to set up the bike, etc.... i've been looking at a relatively cheap bike kit offered from www.Speeddemon.ca and was wondering what you guys thought. I was looking at the 66/80cc black engine kit for $139.99 CA. im also planning on doing a complete build on a v framed bicycle, custom paint, the full 9 yards. I'd appreciate your help guys, so throw some advice at me!! :giggle: :)

welcome to the form this is a great place to learn , if you ever need help just PM me
I cannot drive a car any more because of an accident as well.

If you are like me and really need it for transportation, then spend the extra cash and go with a 4 stroke kit .
http://speeddemon.ca/motoized-bike-kit-49cc-4-stroke.html

They might cost more but are far more reliable no peddle start, no oil mixing, there not as fast but will last longer and pull a trailer better.
Peddle start might not sound that bad until you are hauling things, like milk cokes any thing with weight and or pulling a trailer, then you will be glad you got the 4 stroke. take it from me I got a 2 stroke kit sold it and got a 4 stroke kit.
look at it in this way 2 strokes are more fore speed and fun.
4 strokes are slower but more for everyday use, and are more reliable.

Also if Canada is like most of the USA any MB/moped over 49CC you have to have a motorcycle license, now most cops will not know the 2 stroke kit is 66CC just make sure you tell them it's 49CC. another good thing about the 4 stroke it 49CC, no MCL required.
Also regardless of which kit you get if there's any way you can afford a American Made kit do it.
If I had the cash I would of went with a 4 stroke Honda kit, the American made kits are the best and they will last for many many years
Also friction drive systems are fine but do not grip very good when the rollers get wet so go with a chain driven center mount kit

Im quite interested in the 2 stroke for power, and im thinking of getting a jackshaft kit for the bike after some time as well. im wondering what the 2 stroke would be like for climbing hills at all? here in newfoundland there are quite a few hills around, and i should know because i realized this when i was teaching myself to drive my standard car :p. I'd like something that will give me lots of speed, but also decent torque for those hills. It's pretty snowy here where i live right now, so i was planning on getting my bike built and ready so i'd have it for when the snow is gone. I'm liking the idea of that 2-stroke 66cc motor kit, maybe with a performance carb, jackshaft, etc. Also i want something versatile, like a hardtail mountain bike so i can still hit the gravel trails and get accross the city faster. here where i live there is an old gravel trail where a train track used to be in like the 50's, and it runs pretty much accross most of the island! i plan on getting this build started ASAP, and ill even make a post about it and let anyone who is interested follow along with it! thanks for your advice and i'm sure i'll be asking for much more down the road...

can you afford an American made kit if so go with a 2 stroke American Made if so spend the extra cask in the long run you will be happier, and glad you did.
Also go with Kevlar tires not 100% flat free but **** close to it.
With the build don't make the same mistake so many make, thanking it going to be built rideable in 2-4 hours.
with the china kits check ever screw nut and bolt I would even get some loctite.

Welcome, Newfie. I would recommend disc or drum brakes. Rim brakes will stay wet there.

norco-indie-3-2012-hybrid-bike.jpgagreed, also, would you guys recommend buying new or used? i might just go to a local cycle shop and buy a bike, and there is one that has caught my eye, the 2012 norco indie asphalt bike, as shown in the image, i'd really like a beach cruiser style bike but i've no idea where to find one

How much are you able to afford for a bicycle? If $200 an under wally world is good. Theres a site that specializes in beach cruizers, need to google. The world is the limit and your pocketbook.

I think the Norco looks well suited. Rear disk brakes are good and bad. They make a rear motor sprocket that will bolt to the six bolt disk mount, but it costs extra. To keep a disk brake on the rear with that sprocket, you will need to get a Tophat adaptor, which also costs extra. I should have suggested that you get a bike with a front disk and rear rim brake for cheaper installation.
I'm surprised that it is difficult for you to find a beach cruiser in NL. CCM made them for years.

Back