New here, newbie questions about electric vs. gas

K9Kruiser

Local time
4:05 AM
When I saw the name of this site, I though it would be focused on motors, not engines, but oh well.

I don't know the laws, but I have to believe that is most jurisdictions there is a distinction? To simplify my question, if you take a bicycle or tricycle and put an electric motor on it, then don't you still have full bike rights, i.e. riding in the bike lanes? If you put a gas engine on, then aren't you "forced" into the regular vehicle lane? Since I plan on making a motorized trike, and don't expect to go fast, I would like to retain bike privileges and go where bikes go. Whether that be bike paths, bike lanes, etc.

I realize each state, county, and city can make their own rules, but isn't that generally correct?

Motorized bike friendly state whether electric or gas generally give motorized bikes the same rights as bicycles. It really depends on your state and this information is generally easy to find out. I wouldn't worry about the entire legal law theory of it and just focus on your state.

OK, I am in NM and they consider an electric motor on a bike as still a bike...no special rules for lights, licenses, or anything. What isn't clear about the wording is they say motorized bicycle which in my mind means electric. They have a different section referring to mopeds.

http://www.mvd.newmexico.gov/vehicl...01blogPostId=ec45f29f43944fb8a848cd27a012a8b1

I can be pretty sure that with an electrified bicycle, I can ride in car lanes, following car rules, but also be able to drive in bike lands and in parks where typical motorized vehicles can't go.

Thanks

Back