New Hoot

Local time
11:47 PM
I've ordered this and will be reporting back soon. Note the dry clutch wet chain drive set up. They say it's quiet and more reliable.

Attachments

• newgb2.jpg
    newgb2.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 532
  • newgb.jpg
    newgb.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 511
I'm guessing it is similar to pocket bike ones like these.

Attachments

• gear%20box.jpg
    gear%20box.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 452
  • md01-gearbox-2.jpg
    md01-gearbox-2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 429
What motor are you planning to mount this to? If either the Honda GXH50 or clone available here in the US, do you anticapte the need of an additional adapter to fit it up to your motor?

ocscully

That looks like a good start, But looking at the picture the drive sprocket shaft looks way too long and would bend or snap right quick. A cone shaped casting with a bearing on the end would have been nice, But again its a picture and I have not seen it nor have I used one. BTW where did you come across that?

Ocscully, it mounts right up to the clone (huasheng).

biketec, that's my main concern, however there is a bearing on both sides of the gear so we'll see.

I want to see if it's worth a "hoot" before I divulge too much; if it's good there are better sources than where I'm gettin' it. I'll have it in a week and I should be able to give an initial report in a couple weeks.

That's great news to hear that there is a gearbox like that available. I hate the noise mine produces. Let us know the test results and info on where to get it ASAP.

Biketec is right- the shaft sticks out too far without support and it will rip itself to bits by day three. Mind you the freewheel sprocket looks like it hasn't been driven home fully onto the shaft so the distance may be a bit less but when it comes to the Hoot designers I think some people may be endowing them with an anticipated level of engineering intelligence that they almost certainly haven't got. Don't forget this gearbox is out of the Hoot stable guys - when someone escapes from the Hoot design laboratory and defects to the west I very much doubt that the Chinese authorities are in any way concerned. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a Chinese secret service plot to get their Hoot engineers to defect and work for NASA.
My Hoot gearbox has never been used because I've had trouble finding a test pilot willing to give it a go. I was going to ask Ray Charles to try it out but sadly he passed away before I could ask him.

I'm having a hard time understanding this. Is there a gear reduction before the smaller chain sprocket? If so, fine. If not, I don't see how this would be enough reduction. I can't count the teeth, but it looks like abou 2:1. Needs to be almost double that.

Back