New Improved Felt Red Barron.

I got bored so I rebuilt the death trap... here is the new and improved red barron.

Most notable improvements include a brand new Grubee 66cc engine, kill switch delete w/new grips, sick bikes front mount, sick bikes expansion chamber, an HD flywheel from sick bikes, an 11 tooth sbk sprocket for the jackshaft, and a better fuel tank mounting arrangement that allows me to lower my seat to a comfortable position.

My comments on the new sick bike parts... the expansion chamber is AWESOME!!!! It lets you rev a couple thousand higher in the rpm range giving you access to the additional torque. The only thing I can compare it to is real 3 lobe Honda vtec, ( as in an rsx type s or 99 civic si). If you add the nuvinci hub, 11 tooth sprocket, and air filter what you get is an amazing machine that starts to approach the performance of an actual motorcycle. It really is amazing. The pipe gives you the revs... the revs give you torque... and the nuvinci hub with bigger sprocket lets you effectively use the torque to get speed. I have fallen in love with the red barron all over again. I think the next upgrade is a rock solid head. I will keep you guys posted.

A couple of fabrication tips for anybody building something like this...

I couldn't get the sbp expansion chamber to fit so I fabbed up my own down tube and hanger... very easy to do and it works well with the felt frame. If it looks familiar... thats because it is; I used the stock exhaust and just cut the muffler off leaving the downtube. I used JB weld and the brass pipe fittings that came with the sbp kit to attach the resonance chamber. I cut the silicone tubing and wrapped it around the whole area and hose clamped it tight while the epoxy was still wet. It has cured pretty tight and doesn't leak AT ALL. To hang it I just used a wire coat hanger and bent it to shape, then used the mounting hole and bolt originally intended for the rear fender to hang it. The gas tank mounted easily with some old tire rubber I found on the road and some 5000 lb epoxy. I cut 4 squares using the existing tread pattern on the tire scrap and glued it under the 4 corners of the tank to keep it from rattling. A pair of VERY heavy duty zip ties holds the tank to the rack. I deleted the kill switch using the throttle piece from dax. The thread pitch and hole size were too small so be prepared to drill out and tap a new thread pitch for the throttle cable.

As you will see... still no brakes. I think I am starting to like riding it that way.

Anyways, here are some pics. All comments welcome, hope you enjoy.

rb6.jpg

rb3.jpg

rb3-1.jpg

rb4.jpg

rb1.jpg

rb9.jpg

rb10.jpg

Last edited:
I agree, IMO the graphics on your RB are sharper than the current. As to the quality, I noticed the nice welds, etc. on the Felt from your pics. I've built 3 Huffy/HT's in the last 4 mos. and have already had fender issues. Sold the first. But, still feel like it was a great place to start out. I've ridden road motorcycles off & on most my life. Too many near misses w/ cars. Gave it up. Next up is a Sun Cruiser and grubee gen 4/HS kit build. Also, ordered another bike, a Micargi, since Huffy No. 2 is probably sold too. This hobby has really grabbed hold hard. Building 'em is almost as fun as riding. I need to keep three going to ride w/ my kids( both about your age) and just gave my 16 mo. old granddaughter a ride in the InStep on Thanksgiving. She loved it! Sooo... w/ the two new HT's squirreled back( you too?) I need to slow down spending money on 'em right now. At least 'til after Christmas. That 1903 will be mine! The forums are great too. I'm humbled by the fabulous stuff you and others are doing here.

I just built a staton friction drive mongoose bmx for my nephew to ride... he loves it and riding with family only makes it better.

don't feel bad... it grabbed me hard too.

They are quite addicting aren't they???

Last edited:
Sweet ride! If I were to build a new bike I think I'd have to splurge on a Felt frame. They're just too nice.

I love the thick brick tires too. Without the shift kit they're tough to get chain clearance around. Anyone have suggestions on how to do that?

Edit: oh yeah, like everyone else said: put some brakes on that thing!

Use a dedicated hub and dish it really sharply (flat as can be on the right/pedal side). Re-space the axle for proper shifting, to the limits of the motor drive chain line tolerances.

Sweet ride! If I were to build a new bike I think I'd have to splurge on a Felt frame. They're just too nice.

I love the thick brick tires too. Without the shift kit they're tough to get chain clearance around. Anyone have suggestions on how to do that?

Edit: oh yeah, like everyone else said: put some brakes on that thing!

I was up late last night and couldn't get to sleep so I thought of a couple of improvements... I still have to work on the gas tank and exhaust mounting brackets a little but at least it worked... let me know what you guys think...

Here is what I changed...
-A new sbp black exhaust (mounted properly)
-a new gas tank w/better mounting position
-Re-installed the rear fender
-New coat of wax
-custom chain tensioner.... I made them using an old bolt that I cut off and filed on both ends to fit in the hole between the frame and hub. I then filed them flat on the top to fit nicely against the hub bracket. Now my chain doesn't constantly fall off... it took a few hours to get them just right but they work AWESOME!!!! And they were free.

newrbside2.jpg

newrbside.jpg

newrbengine.jpg

newrbrear.jpg

newrbtank.jpg

Picture of my custom chain tensioner.
IMG_2565.jpg

Last edited:
Hey "V", to the casual onlooker your new tank looks just like another piece of luggage balanced out by the rollbag up front. Very nice! I'm happy to see the rear fender back on. Again sort of balances out aesthetically. I'm new to this PC game and pics of the new Felt as well as some of the Crannies for a dif thread will have to wait until I get more time for it. Perhaps after Christmas. I'm jealous too! Looks nice where your at in SoCal. Colder than $!!&*& here. Take care, your bike looks better all the time. ps. I'll PM you on my tank idea. Thanks for the offer.

Yes..I can still remember being 24..and looking for the max adrenaline rush......I am 61 and still have that addiction ..that's why I don't own a fast car or motorcycle..can not recover from those crashes and broken bones very well now....I do paddle my sea kayak solo off shore in the Gulf of Mexico..seems the rougher it is the better I like it..."lost at Sea" or " believed to be eaten by sharks" will be easier on the family and cheeper too Ha Ha...

I hear that! I plan going no more then 20 MPH max.
Vtec, Nice build and pictures.

Hey VTEC,

Very cool bike! I like the look a lot! BTW, what size tires do you have on that and what rims? I like the balloon look that they give it and the white lettering really makes it stand out.

That is a really beautiful example of craftsmanship and great aesthetic input. Well done & lovely pics as well.

Back