New in Colorado

Flight Risk

Local time
9:51 AM
Hey, I've been wanting to build a motored bike for some time, and have been looking at ads and info. I'm getting older (52)and don't ride much anymore and thought even with a motor I could get a bit of exercize and fresh air.
Some questions.
Centrifugal clutch with pull start or manual clutch?
How do these bikes ride in pedal mode, without the motor running? Is there drag and noise from the freewheeling chain?
I don't know If I would put it on my 35 old 10-speed (If you know what that is), or on a mountain bike, or buy a cheap fat tire at Wal-fart (I would worry a bit if it just has a coaster brake, though I like the look on a fat tire). I tried searching for 10-speed conversions and can't find anything.
I am hoping to get by with one of the $150 or so kits for now like a Grubee 48cc. I know they have a 50cc limit in CO, though I doubt they would know the difference. I get the impression a Grubee may be a bit better than other entry level kits, and at least have a web site and some support.
I see a weak point seems to be the idler pulley. Any other weak points to be concerned with? I also inherited a 40 year old 3 wheel bike from an aunt, but I feel like a geek riding it. Maybe I could turn it into a lowrider?:unsure:
Also, I have been converting weedeater engines to use in RC airplanes for a few years, so don't mind the tinkering. My screen name is what I use on the RC forums.

Thanks,

Rod S

Rod,
I missed my chance at a three wheeler and then found an old antique pictured and wished I had bought it. I think it would make a cool looking antique with the addition of a bike lantern and flat tank.
Wisconsinite in temperary residence in CO.
Ron

Well, it's your basic '60's 3 wheeler girls bike. I think they may have all been girls bikes with the low front tube. It's got a 3 speed hub driving one wheel and a coaster brake. I would hate to go too fast on it unless it had a lowered seat, as it's very tippy. I looks basically like this?
http://www.walmart.com/Schwinn-Meridian-Tricycle/ip/5679542
I was thinking I could easily put a briggs and stratton engine back where the basket is and stretch out the front and lower the seat and make a recumbenant bike.

RS

Flight Risk
welcome
sounds like you have been doing your homework
I am with you regarding the three wheeler
they just don't seem to do it for me
but noted with a B&S motor - big old thing on the back would look cool
saw a guy on a wheel chair the other day get smashed into a curb by a car
thoughts of a three wheeler remind me of that picture
MM

Some ANSWERS TO YOUR questions.
Centrifugal clutch with pull start or manual clutch?
Safety and ease of operation necessiate a centrifugal clutch. Dont worry, they do just fine climbing colorado mountains without slipping or break down. I did a several hour ride up Mt. Herman last month on a shifter bike running a high compression head and a centrifugal clutch.

How do these bikes ride in pedal mode, without the motor running? Is there drag and noise from the freewheeling chain?
There is drag more noticeable with single speed but less drag with a shifter kit. Trust me when I tell you once you go MB, the only time you will pedal is to start the engine on your bike.

I don't know If I would put it on my 35 old 10-speed (If you know what that is), or on a mountain bike, or buy a cheap fat tire at Wal-fart (I would worry a bit if it just has a coaster brake, though I like the look on a fat tire). I tried searching for 10-speed conversions and can't find anything.

I would highly recommend a new Schwinn Searcher or an olderstyle Schwinn Skyliner. They are great for adding a motor tot hem.

I am hoping to get by with one of the $150 or so kits for now like a Grubee 48cc. I know they have a 50cc limit in CO, though I doubt they would know the difference. I get the impression a Grubee may be a bit better than other entry level kits, and at least have a web site and some support.

Get a Dax, its a local vendor and great reliability and support.

I see a weak point seems to be the idler pulley. Any other weak points to be concerned with? MANY I have a very old thread how to make these things reliable.

Also, I have been converting weedeater engines to use in RC airplanes for a few years, so don't mind the tinkering. My screen name is what I use on the RC forums.

Where do you fly? If you are in Colorado Springs area, shoot me a PM.

Thanks,

Rod S[/QUOTE]

Rod,
I have a photo of an antique motor bike that might be inspiration for what you could do with your three-wheeler. I don't know how to post it here however! It was what I wanted to do with the one I missed. Google "antique motorbikes" and you will find it in one of the offerings there.
RK

Sprocketman,

Let's see it this photo comes through.

Attachments

• antiquemotorcycle.jpg
    antiquemotorcycle.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 184
Back