New Jersey Motorize Bicycle Laws question

License Required & Registration Required

1. 1ucian

1ucian New Member

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums, and I just bought a used motorized bicycle, 49cc two stroke engine.
    I read that I need to register the vehicle at DMV? I don't have any papers for it, just the actual bike. I saw the other thread here but it didn't seem to help much. Please help me figure out what I need to do to be able to ride it legally. Thanks a lot!

2. Specialx

Specialx Member

Forget about trying to register in NJ..
    They have a specific list of moped dealers/models that are allowed to be registered..
    I don't know if there is an "assembled from parts" way of doing it.
  3. LR Jerry

LR Jerry Well-Known Member

4. Timbone

Timbone Active Member

Looks like motorized bicycles are golden in NJ!
  5. Specialx

Specialx Member

They may be "golden", but not so easy to get registered...
    Getting insurance for it (a PRE-requisite for registration) without a VIN..
    Question is, how do you get a VIN?
  6. 1ucian

1ucian New Member

Not sure what you mean by golden.

I sent an email to MVC, and got this response:

7. Zackiriyah

Zackiriyah Member

Motorized bikes are considered mopeds in many states,so they should be able to be registered
  8. Timbone

Timbone Active Member

In LR's post above. it states that 49cc mopeds (who can tell 49cc from 66cc?) that pedal don't need to be registered. Keep your speed under 30 and think happy thoughts!
  9. Zackiriyah

Zackiriyah Member

still I wouldn't take the chance .all it takes is one mean cop to pull you over..and who knows what would happen next .They could take your bike away from you ,and all that hard work and MOn ey is thrown down the drain
  10. The_Aleman

The_Aleman Active Member

You'd be surprised what you can get away with on one of these if you are pedaling :D
  11. Zackiriyah

Zackiriyah Member

But where's the fun in that though >.>
  12. The_Aleman

The_Aleman Active Member

A lot! Chevrolegs is where the torque is! Human legs easily put out more torque than a small gasoline engine!

Why I call these things MaBs: Motor-assisted Bicycles. Still a bicycle first, but, well, assisted :D

Not pedaling is being half-arse, IMHO. Don't get me wrong, I do a lot of cruising, but I like to be able to still pedal at 30MPH.

Gearing is always key.
  13. 2old2learn

2old2learn Member

One of the reasons I'm using Stantons pedal axle shift kit is so I can still get exercise, but do so while going 20-30 mph. With our summer temps often 100+ with high humidity, pedaling along at 15 mph just won't keep you cooled down. Also nice to have a reliable no parasitic drag pedaling backup just in case your best laid plans don't work out as expected!
  14. darkfighter

darkfighter New Member

Any updates on the registration process? Am planning to try the NJ DMV tomorrow.