New Kulana and BoyGoFast Build Thread

Last question: Kill switch. I have the little yellow button built into the throttle handle...it's got a thin red wire with no connector or anything on the end, and a thicker blue wire with a round connector (like for fitting under a bolt). Can someone tell me EXACTLY how to hook it up? I've read numerous threads, instructions from many sites, but I'm thick, I guess...some say put the switch between the blue wire, some say just connect the white wire...some say don't use it at all...but I'd like to, so please help - a picture is always worth 1000 words...

Thanks!
Mark

It's Alive!!!!!

Yea! I rode it finally! We got the issues with the throttle worked out. It threw the chain as well as jumped off the small sprocket and got jammed all on the first runs down the street, but we worked out the kinks and it runs FANTASTIC!

I was looking and reading and not finding my answers to setting the idle, because the articles I saw talked about an idle screw...my carb sets with the socket (thumbscrew) at the top. I just didn't get it at first DOH!

Anyway, it started raining so I haven't even taken it around the block yet, but I will shortly - summer has arrived in FL, and it rains every day at 4:00...for an hour or so...then the sun comes back out. So I will try and break it in just riding around my subdivision this early evening.

What is a normal working temp as taken from the head next to the spark plug? The motor smelled hot after just a few runs...we opened the mixture another 1/8 from 4 1/2 so it's a bit richer now.

I also thought it was a little rough and bumpy at half throttle...probably rich there, but that's ok, it's where I'll be during the first tank or so.

OK, I'm going riding!!! :)

Thanks everyone for helping...and putting up with me.
Mark

Be sure to secure that muffler to the frame somehow, leaving them hanging there causes the exhaust to loosen itself and blow out gaskets or leave the whole muffler hanging to the engine by a few turns of the nut.
On my kit I was told to hook the kill switch to the white wire, and you'd hook the other one to some ground on the bike or engine. I've heard reports of people burning out magnetos from grounding the white wire though, If you hooked the wire to the spark plug boot out of the CDI it should work too like old style lawnmower kill switches.

Last question: Kill switch. I have the little yellow button built into the throttle handle...it's got a thin red wire with no connector or anything on the end, and a thicker blue wire with a round connector (like for fitting under a bolt). Can someone tell me EXACTLY how to hook it up? I've read numerous threads, instructions from many sites, but I'm thick, I guess...some say put the switch between the blue wire, some say just connect the white wire...some say don't use it at all...but I'd like to, so please help - a picture is always worth 1000 words...

Thanks!
Mark

The red wire goes to your white wire coming out of engine. The blue wire goes to ground. I have mine hooked up just in case throttle sticks or some other misfortune. I usually just "stall" the bike in gear to stop engine..

Mister - nice tensioner! I am going to look for one right away...

As for the Kill Switch - I bought a switch at Radio Shack yesterday, that I will use between the blue wires, this seems to be the only way not to "short" the magneto in a harmful way from what I've read about it here on the forum.

I can't wait to ride my bike again...I'm skipping flying this morning, just so I can cruise it around.

How far is "too far" on the new motor? I was thinking about a 10 mile trip to go visit a buddy on pretty straight roads...should I just keep tooling around the neighborhood until I run the first tank out, or you think it's safe to ride further? I think I have about 20 minutes riding time now, mostly at half throttle, but changing speeds with small burst of full throttle for short periods...

Does anyone measure motor temps?

Thanks all!
Mark

Thats the way Im doing it. I ride around the neighborhood, usually 10-20 miles at a time.
I have about 70 miles now. At first I just wanted to be sure I didnt go too far in case I had to carry the bike home lol. Vary your throttle like you said to break it in properly, no extended periods of full throttle, and you should be fine. The only thing that really worried me was the chain and the stock tensioner, tensioner kept slipping and chain would come off. I was soo afrai that it would slip into spokes. Now I feel confident to go anywhere, when it gets cooler...Well good luck Mark and if we can help, just ask....
George

Hi George,
Well, I went to a Kawasaki shop and they couldn't help...so I went to trusty old Sears...In the lawnmower dept. they said to go to the repair shop...they were less than helpful there. "What part number?"...."I don't know, can I just look at your pulleys?"...."No. No part number, then I can't help you"..."OK, let's look at the schematic of one of the Sears tractors, and maybe we'll find a part number."...."No, go back to the store (they're a block apart) and get a part number for the tractor you like."...."Can't you just call them and ask?"...."No, they don't bother answering the phone."...."Huh???"...."Sir, I'm not going to stand here and guess at part numbers"...(She had no other customers waiting, BTW"....so some guy comes in with the same issue....she sends him walking, too. AMAZING!!!! This is why Sears is going out of business...and nobody seems to care!

So I came back home and put on the stock one, and I'll hit some moped/scooter shops during the week next week...hopefully someone's got this dang thing.

Anyway...I ventured to the Super Target...about 4-5 miles, I'd guess...bought some accessories: Front bag for handlebars, speedometer (top speed before it sounds like it's really winding out: 29-30 (then I backed off), and a big-a$$ comfy seat (Schwinn) really cushy and nice. Hopefully, I'm about done.

Oh, I bought a toggle switch at Radio Shack, removed the yellow plastic button and the toggle fit right in there...so it attaches to the blue wires, and now I have a kill button.

Everything was tightened up using blue Loctite, and seems to be good...no visible loose nuts, and I really don't want to tighten anything and break a good seal. I also used it on the petcock/tank and no leaks. Some documentation says use teflon tape, but I think gas would turn it into goop...and once again, the loctite worked great (so far).

Everyone that saw me asked me about the bike! They all smile when I tell them that this is my little war against the oil companies. I have been spending about $85/2 weeks filling up my Acura MDX and it only gets about 17mpg around town... :) It's all good, now!

Have a great weekend! Tomorrow I'm going to take a nice ride down A1A I think...check out the beach and the pretty girls...of course!

Mark

Read down towards the bottom of the thread the Tractor Supply Co. part numbers are there. I bought a big comfy seat also "The Couch" almost as much as the bike, but it is comfy. I would like to see a pic ot the toggle/ kill switch. I also use the yellow button but if I could replace it I would. I'd keep and eye on the petcock because I dont believe threadlock is meant to be a "sealer", Teflon tape works, dont worry. Did you clean the inside of gas tank before mounting it, or wasnt it rusty? I'm going out tomorrow morning early before it gets tooooo hot, must be summer "cooking" here today... Have fun, enjoy, stay safe... Talk at ya latta.....

With a little more searching on carb problems you would have found this,,

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=5910&highlight=idle+adjustment

Before you do damage to your engine you should learn the vocabulary of the item you are working with, then searching for help works best.

I am very surprised that after all of your posts about throttle cable and Idle / mixture, that it takes a newbie like myself to point you in the right direction!

Senior members? did ya'all quit helping?

Last edited:
Back