New member from Delray Beach, Florida

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by PiousPedals, Oct 2, 2007.

1. PiousPedals

PiousPedals Guest

Hey what's goin on motoredbikes.com!?! Just checkin in to say hello... One day I would love to build something custom :cool: but for now here's my townie with a modified GeBe kit on it... I mounted the engine kit to the frame instead of the axle... I've rebuilt the rear wheel about 4 times and have finally gone with a single speed rear wheel to get the correct flange radius and spacing for a new drive ring. Over 12,000 miles :shock: on this bad boy so far and she still purrs like a kitten!

sorry bout those IMG tags... I'll get it right one day! RTFM right?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2007

2. spunout

spunout Member

welcome to MBc!
    nice job on the mods...with it attatched to frame instead of axle, i'm guessing that will extend the life of the wheel quite a bit, without as much added stress. cool.
    looks comfortable, too. :cool:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  3. mickey

mickey Guest

Very clean and nice. Welcome.

4. PiousPedals

PiousPedals Guest

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Yeah, hopefully the mods will help the wheel last longer... The biggest problem that I can see if the super comfy geometry of the Townie... Most bike puts 60% of the riders weight on the rear wheel, The Townite puts more like 80-85%... I'm 225lbs. and 6'2" so at 30 mph a bicycle rim takes serious abuse... (Maybe losing a few pounds would help top end speed and wheel damages!) The kit being mounted to the frame just makes roadside tube repairs much easier to manage...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2007
  5. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Welcome to MBc.

6. azbill

azbill Active Member

welcome to MBc ! :D

7. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

8. PiousPedals

PiousPedals Guest

Haha!, That's meeeee!

9. beast775

beast775 Guest

townie frame geometry

those bicycles are excellent for the price.great motor bracket mods.what a great ride.i like it.ow ya welcome!its fun here.

10. drimpact

drimpact Member

Welcome to MBc

11. vyzhion

vyzhion Guest

Welcome aboard... nice bike too. Hope it holds up for ya. :)

12. PiousPedals

PiousPedals Guest

Are there any active members of this board that are in Florida?

13. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

you can search the memberlist by location, but not everyone includes that detail in their profile. i see you're already active in the "traveling" section...right-on! try posting a lil something in "let's ride" and see who you come up with...if you manage to organize a ride, please request plenty of (free) MBc stickers from Tom :)

welcome to MBc :cool:

14. gauge

gauge Guest

welcome to motored bikes

15. PiousPedals

PiousPedals Guest

Thanks for all the welcoming guys! I wish I knew about ya'll a while back when I first started tinkering on my bicycles... *sniffle sniffle* *tear* I think I found where I belong... :lol::lol::rolleyes:

16. smapadatha

smapadatha Guest

Welcome

I am more glad to have you here than I can say. I've often wished that more GEBE site reviewers were on MBc, since they represent a considerable amount of experience.

But I'm especially glad to have *you* on board, because your review was the inspiration for me to try and GEBE-ify my own Elektra Townie 3. I eventually abandoned the 3 speed as too hard to GEBE-ify and purchased the Elektra Townie 21 with derailluer.

http://motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=5750

I have very often wondered about your wheel building experiments and I hope, over time, you will start a new thread and take us through your saga step by step, with all the exhausting details. The issues that you've encountered have come up quite a few times on MBc, and many of us could benefit from your experience.

I still have my Townie 3 speed (like you, I love the Elektra Flatfoot frames) and if I put a stronger motor on there, maybe I could get by with a single speed. But I would still have to solve the problem of building a tough rear wheel with a hub that can fit the narrow rear fork on that bike, without drilling out the hub or bending the frame!

Welcome again and I look forward to reading your rackmount thread if possible.

-Sam