New member from Saigon - Vietnam

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by tru, Oct 29, 2011.

1. tru

tru New Member

Hi All,
    I am Tru, Vietnamese, a new member of this Forum.
    I am leaving in Saigon - Vietnam. In my country there are a lot of motorbike, however motorized bike is still rare
    I love the motorized bikes and have been built up some: from friction drive, chinese engine and weedeater engine... attached to the mountain bike, road bike, and even lady bike !
    Attached are some photos of my bikes... I will post the details how I built these bikes later
    Very glad to join this forum and hoping to get helps from you all.
    Thanks !

Attached Files:

riderman likes this.

2. richirich1113

richirich1113 Member

Those are some realkly nice bikes, glad you joined.
  3. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

Chao Tru!

I visited Saigon in 1967-69.

Nice bikes.
  4. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

Welcome.. I did too in 1967. Back then motorized bikes were the thing. Although they were front wheel drive...cyclo mi, or something close is what they were called.
  5. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

Yeah, Saigon/Cholon district, Tansonhut Airport, cat soup.

I saw a lot of bicycles and jitneys (moped-powered taxis).
  6. tru

tru New Member

Chao Al.Fisherman & 5-7HEAVEN

Saigon always welcome the old friends! Many friends have come back to visit Vietnam, especially the veterans from USA.

And all friends always be moved by the un-changed places here: Saigon, Cho lon, Tan son nhut airport...

The jitneys you saw before now is not allowed to transport people, however you can see them loading with other things.

This jitsaw we called 'xe lam' and 'cyclo may' (please see attached files)

Attached Files:

7. Atlanta CPR

Atlanta CPR Member

Nice builds! Welcome aboard.
  8. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

After all these years, I still remember a young Vietnamese man entertaining us by slowly riding his moped, facing backwards.

That was in "I Corps" (up country, not Saigon).
  9. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. I have been to many places in Asia, but not Vietnam. Vietnam is on my list of places I would like to see.
  10. birdmannn101

birdmannn101 Member

Welcome aboard! Out of all your bikes, is this one DSC00953.JPG the smoothest to ride with the front forks, mountain tire on the front and a wider tire on the rear?

11. tru

tru New Member

Hi Dan,

Yes, that is a Schwinn chopper with front suspension and wide rear tire, equipped with a 66cc Chinese HT engine, with manual clutch system... therefore it can run smoothly, fast and quite powerful.

And the 'lady' model is most light and easy to ride - even for lady.