New member from the Seattle area.

TheCrystalSkull

Local time
5:35 AM
Hey there! I've seen some pretty neat machines on this forum over the course of the last year, since being bitten by the motoring bug. I mostly do electrics, easier to get away with them where I'm at. Not to say I don't like gassers, mind. I was a mechanic on German cars for ten years or so, then switched into Landscaping; long story. Got back into bicycling a recently when somebody kindly gave me a decent old Schwinn cruiser of indeterminate age and model. Rebuilt it and rode it all around the Seattle trails. I was looking for a headlight that didn't suck and wound up on one of those scooter parts websites and it hit me. I needed to build a powered bike.

I converted a gravity bike I was working on into an electric and that's pretty much how it got started. That bike was ugly, rickety and slow and twisted. But it was a start. I decided I needed to start with a fresh frame, so I found blueprints for an old Harley and scaled it down...

First I built this:
IMG_0311.jpg

Which became this:
IMG_0462.jpg
Then this:
IMG_0475.jpg

It was heavy, with lead-acid batteries, a 500w motor and extras. Probably only 20 miles range and broke drive train parts every 15. At this point, I want to convert it to gas and keep the pedal action, finish building the forks and I think it will be pretty fun then.

The other bike I am presently working on is based on an old Schwinn heavyweight, it's being made into a cafe racer of sorts. It's electric, mid-drive (I don't like the idea of motors in my wheels...) and I'm shooting for a 200+ mile range at an average speed of 25mph.

P5030032.jpgP5030042.jpg

The only original part is the frame, and I've only widened the rear drop-out width to accommodate a multi-speed downhill hub and will be welding tabs for the brake caliper. I'll post up a more detailed build in the appropriate place.

Anyways, I'd like to meet up other Pacific NW motor-bikers, and all that.

Happy motoring!

Welcome to the forum. Nice rides there. When you can buy a ready to ride electric bike with a 50 mile range under $700 then I might consider one. With electric nobody will bother you and that's worth something.

Have you thought about using a direct drive front hub motor as a propulsion generator only? That should increase your range a lot.

Welcome to the forum. Nice rides there. When you can buy a ready to ride electric bike with a 50 mile range under $700 then I might consider one. With electric nobody will bother you and that's worth something.

Thanks.
I can dig that perspective, and they're getting closer to meeting that price point, still a ways out though. With all the rail-trails and bike-friendly parks in the Seattle metro (gas motors aren't allowed), it makes sense for me to have at least one electric. As for getting bothered, I haven't been hassled yet, but I do have a lot of interaction with random people almost every time I ride; Most of the time it's positive or at least inquisitive, but occasionally less so.
At full tilt, my bike is far from silent, it sounds like a small, cracked-out, sport bike when I'm blasting through gears. I thought I'd miss the sound of an engine, but it has it's own noise that I enjoy.

@LR Jerry
As for using a hub motor as a generator, that's not really a sound idea (rolling resistance, conversion losses, increased unsprung weight, overall system complexity). I'd rather just put that money into more batteries and a more efficient/powerful parts. Getting more range out of my bike will largely be matter of increasing capacity, increasing voltage and making sure the rolling stock isn't wasting power. I don't run a tensioner on my reduction set mostly because that has been shown to waste a hundred watts or so, which is good chunk of my pedal effort. I may add another motor to my gearbox to increase torque and decrease current draw on each individual motor, but it'd probably be better to just go with a larger motor.

I'm no e-evangelist though, electric's what I like for some stuff, and the gas for other things.

Last edited:
Back