new member having hard time

hatmon

Local time
9:38 PM
alright so heres the deal, i just got this motor installed after about 5 hours of messing around with it about 2 weeks ago, it was running perfect till i had run about 1.5 gallons of fuel through it, and was heading back from town one day on it and it started making noises, i knew i was low on gas and figured it was about to run out on me so i kept pushing it for a lil while without thinking much into it, went about a mile down the road as the noise kept increasing, look down and the muffler is hanging off, about to fall off, so i stop the bike 3 miles from home, tighten up the bolts by hand quick and try to start it, and no luck, so on the way back to home i would walk up every hill and try to start it on every downhill with no luck, it has been about 8 days since this happened and i have tryed to start it a good 50 times or so since then after making various adjustments and ect to the carb and stuff, i thought there might be a problem inside the motor so i took it to my tech teacher in school (im only 16 btw) he opened the motor or whatever and said the motor was over flooded and he dumped out about 1/2 a cup of fuel, he said wait a day with it sitting upside down to dry out then put it on and it should start right up, no luck, it just sounds like a regular motor when i dump the clutch with no power, i have checked for spark and the engine is getting fuel, i have adjusted the idle screw 20 different times, took the carb apart 3 times and cleaned it out VERY THOROUGHLY, tryed starting with choke on choke off choke half with no difference in any, i have not gotten a single sputter yet out of this since it died when the muffler was hanging off i have searched this forum multiple different times searching for an answer and have yet to get close to fixing my problem, somebody please tell me what could be wrong!

i also bought some sta-bil for treating gas with ethanol in it, that is also designed to clean out the carb and engine yesterday and tryed to start it 5 times today with that mixed into the fuel with still no luck

Last edited:
Have you checked for spark???

Reset the carb to factory settings??

Hope you get it figured out. I am sure these guys will help you out. I am new bikes but not 2 strokes.

checked for spark 3 times, each time i got multiple flashes of sparks while holding the spark plug next to the tank going down a small hill

changed the needle adjustment in the carb even as in this thread http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=4894&highlight=circlip set it richer/leaner made no difference in starting, but settled on having it at 2 instead of at 3 where it was at, because i live a bit higher up in the mountains, other than that the carb is pretty simple i had to have adjusted it back to factory settings at least one of the 30+ times i messed around with its settings then tryed to start it after.

Last edited:
How did the cylinder look???

How is compression???

I would try a new plug just in case. Sometimes the spark when under compression is not as hot as when out of the engine.
Wouldn't hurt.

multiple sparks going downhill is not enough.
hold the plug onto the head and push the bike in your driveway in the evening or night. You should see consistent spark. If not then tighten all the screws holding down the magneto stator (inside the left hand engine cover). If still bad then replace the stator coil.

If the spark is good then check that the head nuts are tight. Lost compression will prevent combustion. Also check that the carb is on as far as it will go on the intake manifold since otherwise you'll have an air leak. Check that the manifold is on tight.

Hello hatmon, animal454 is exactly right on the spark plug, I have seen many times new plugs that would not fire under compression especially champions. I use the ngk B5HS in my 2strokes. You may want to make sure none of your wiring is shorting out against your frame. Also what you can try if you have good compression and spark is to squirt a little gas/oil mix into sparkplug hole and see if the engine fires, if it does it is possible that you have a leak in your crankcase somewhere and is not pulling fuel, I had to replace one of my crankshaft seals once. However, you said your motor had fuel in it so I would lean towards ignition and compression first. I've been a mechanic most of my life and now repair Tv's and electronics for a living and there is one main thing I have learned about trouble shooting over the years is that you leave no stone unturned, anything and everything is a possible cause of the problem. good luck.

The stock plug and spark plug wire leave a lot to be desired. They are both junk and should be replaced as soon as possible. Plug first. If you can afford it an NGK Iridium plug from Sick Bike Parts or elsewhere. Something about ionizing the spark for a better burn.

Check all the wireing, the connectors aren't all that good.

There's just too many things that can go wrong:sick:

i have 2 different spark plugs that i have tryed in it, and when i peddle down a small hill and hold the spark plugs multiple sparks doesn't really describe it, its like a 50+ sparks a second lol for both plugs, and neither start the engine even though they were both working before, i ran the bike down a slight downhill and held my thumb onto the spark plug hole just now and dumped the clutch and it blew my finger straight off the hole every time thats about the only way i can test for compression, but it felt strong, when i took it to my tech teacher he tightened the head bolts up really tight (hes a big man lol) so what else should i do :geek:

i have also tryed before the squirting a lil gas down the plug hole with no luck, also my carb is pressed straight up agaisnt my bike frame as tight as it will go on the bike so that wouldnt be the problem, when i open up the trottle riding it down hill trying to start it, it makes a bogging sound untill i let go of the throttle, regardless of if there is gas in the carb/tank or just completely empty and only air i dont know if its supposed to be like that or not, im going to go take it to a giant hill 1/2 mile down my road and attempt reaching like 25+ mph downhill and dump clutch(pretty mad and bored so why not? lol), all previous attempts were made at 10 +/- mph maximum

if there are any parts that you suggest me buy i have around 45$~ on paypal i have no credit card and i have an eBay account if you could show me the link to the part and it will accept paypal ill probably buy it if you say i should get it ;)

Last edited:
Back