new member in africa

broeri

Local time
12:31 AM
Hello everybody. I am a displaced Minnesotan living and working as a volunteer in west africa.

I really enjoy bikes and have been making and using bike trailers lately. About 10 years ago I made a motorized bicycle, but it didn't work so well (I used a lawnmower wheel with a pulley on it to run directly on the bike wheel and hence lost a lot of power in all of the pulley/clutch apparatus that I constructed). I see that motorized bikes have come a long way since then.

I would like to make one for my bike here in Africa for the days when I'm too lazy to bike or want to go farther than my legs will carry me.

I wonder if someone can give me any starting advice and/or tell me if it is a good or bad idea to buy a kit as such: http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/80cc_bicycle_engine_kit_jet.htm

Thanks and glad to be here.

Erik

We're glad you found us.

Yes, buying a kit is well worth your while. You have a few options on engine/drivetrain.
There are 2 and 4 strokes, frame or rack mount, chain or friction or belt drive, etc.

There are a handful of vendors here who have a good reputation. I would advise going with one of them as opposed to going for the lowest price on ebay. You run the risk of dealing with someone, that way, who is less trustworthy.

Beyond that I won't make particular recommendations (other than a quick nod at thatsdax.com. I've been happy with him.)

The recommendation that I will make is to read these threads; vendor reviews and threads dealing with the various engines and drivetrains. Read some more and some more.

Then when you make a decision it will be your very own. You'll feel that much more confident.

You'll have fun. Keep us posted.

Back