New member semi new motor bike guy

Irate

Local time
7:02 AM
Hello guys you can call me irate , i live in detroit michigan and i obtained a grubee skyhawk engine on a garbage picked beach cruizer about 3 years ago.My buddy bought the kit and picked the bike out the garbage never even got it started due to it coming broken then after it sat for like 6 months he moved and decided to just give it to me.I had allot of fun on it for about 2 days then bolts started snapping , i replaced 80% of my bolts with good grade 8 stuff.Then my clutch cable broke then my throttle cable.Then bearings in wheels went i replaced them.then the chain broke replaced it.I went to grainger to get a higher quality chain that was mentiond here but it would not fit so i am just using the reg chain ( 410 or something? ).The chain tensioner gave way after that followed by petcock arm breaking.I was jobless at the timeso the bike went to the garage and sat for a year now i am working and i want to get it back up and running again.So i am coming here trying to get help assembling a parts list with links,I would love the help of you guys in doing this.so here goes

1. i want to hear the motor fire up before i dive to deep.For i need to replace the chain tensionor . i would like to stay awat from that nylon p.o.s it came with if i can help it.u[pon putting this back together i want quality stuff.So the first thing i ask for is a link to a good tensioner or a parts i can make my own.

2.My cables are toast throttle and clutch the wheels i have now are 26 inch old beach cruiser wheels.I plan on goign to disc/drum.It had a coaster brake on it but i removed it when re building back wheel so i was not using any brakes.i would like to go hydrolic levers to avoid cables on clutch not sure if that is possable or not throttle i assume has to be cable.being as i am goign disc/drum i may need a DUAL action lever or something? any tips/advice wonderfull again any links to cable set up would be greatly appreciated.

Once cables and tensioner are out the way i should be able to atleast get her started from here is my next main concern.

WHEELS!
3.So i went through bearings twice now using good grease and re greasing after 100 or so miles.This is not a big deal but i would really like to get one of set ups that the sprocket bolts right to the hub vs spokes.I would be willing to assemble the wheels but not something i am gung ho about.So again a link to a solid set of 26 or maybe 24 inch wheels with disc/rum brakes and hub that the sprocket can mount to would be excellent.

once these things are taken care of i can move forward help with this three things would be great i am un organsied and can get confused semi easly so a lisat of these 3-5 things would make it easier for me.ThANKS in advance your time is greatly appreciated.

back tracking a bit i had so much fun with this thing i rode it all winter through snow i called it " snow bogging " i would look for places were snow wasnt shovled and see how far i could get LOL:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Welcome to MBc, Irate. Now that you have introduced yourself, be sure to read all you can, including the 'Stickies' at the top of every Forum. They contain a lot of information. For example, ‘Sticky’ by Al.Fisherman has 20 or so links to “How To…” threads, and important pages for you to follow. ‘Sticky’ by Anton "Forum Rules and Infractions” is a must read about how you are expected to Conduct yourself. However, read all of them, and be sure to use the search feature. Almost every question you might have has already been asked and answered someplace here. If you are still stumped with a certain problem, post your question in the proper Forum and I am sure you will get an answer. That is the route you want to follow all thru the Forums.

I know that the majority of the parts like bearings, cables, levers can all be bought from any number of our sponsors. I buy a lot from Dave Staton at www.staton-inc.com, but Dax at www.thatsdax.com, Piston Bikes at www.piston bike.com, and Spooky Tooth at www.spookytoothcycles.com all have good reputations. See our Sponsor Forum for other good dealers. Good Luck to you.

Patrick

Back