new member trying to build a bike

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by modchris, Sep 26, 2011.

1. modchris

modchris New Member

Hello guys im new here and starting my first motorized bicycle i have got a silver slant kit but now what bicycle will be the best?

2. modchris

modchris New Member

Hello everyone i am chris. i am new here and building my first motorized bicycle.

3. professor

professor Active Member

Hi Chris, welcome to Motoredbikes.
    One with "V" brakes or better.
    I like the stregnth of mountain bikes.

4. riff44raff

riff44raff New Member

how much $ do you want to spend??? $319 plus shipping http://worksmancycles.aitrk.com get a 36 tooth sprocket free and spend the extra $70 for the front drun break good luck

5. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

6. modchris

modchris New Member

Thanks i have an entire brand new kit its the silver slant 66cc but i dont have a bicycle because im unsure of what one would be the best and simplest to hook right up. im looking to spend around $80-145 on the bicycle

7. Al.Fisherman

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  8. modchris

modchris New Member

I cant see the picture says "The action that you were trying to perform has failed. " but with a cruiser bike. what do you do with the coaster brake?

9. Al.Fisherman

I personally don't like coaster brakes on our bikes. Some do. Cut the sprocket/cap, remove the brake arm, install the rear sprocket, then install the brake. Don't depend on the stock brake clamp. Install a heavy duty clamp.

Try the link again, there were problems this morning with Photobucket, but seems to work now, at least it did just now.

10. modchris

modchris New Member

ok thanks i might go with that bike. what did you do with the coaster brake tho?

11. Al.Fisherman

I took the brake arm off and installed new rear brakes (on my bike). The picture here is with the coaster brakes installed.
    [​IMG]

12. modchris

modchris New Member

but if you remove the brake arm wont it mess up the guts?

13. Al.Fisherman

No, the arm is separate and is held on by a nut. The center of the arm is square. You will understand if you ever remove a arm. The internal parts will still be in there but can't work without the arm attached.

Just went to garage and took this picture.

Bearing cap and brake arm.
    [​IMG]

14. modchris

modchris New Member

ok looks like to moded the cap. but did you reinstall the brake arm? or use another alternative.

15. Al.Fisherman

Totally sorry. Had to wait on my son from work. He's the bike expert, me...the engine.

I built this bike in 3/2009 and memory isn't what it should be. Anyways, the coaster (two wedges) assembly (inside the hub) was removed. When we installed the axle with the bearings we used a multi gear set up on the peddle side. But he tells me all you need to do is pull the coaster brake set up out of the hub and when you put it back together leave out the two wedges. Without the wedges the brake can't work. Very easy process since the wheel has to come off the bike to install the sprocket. Work over something to catch the bearings as the bearings might not have a cage and will fall out.

Here you can see the parts, the two wedges are below the axle.
    [​IMG]

16. modchris

modchris New Member

ok thank you very much

17. modchris

modchris New Member

what did you use for the front motor mount? did you make that or buy it?

18. Al.Fisherman

I do both...Custom made and sell.