New member w/ Honda GX35 staton chain drive on Nuvinci hub

latest update: got a little work done with a custom machined torsion bar to keep the hub axle from spinning. the guys did a superb job and look forward to further experience with them. thanks again ed.

I think you mean the GP460? 5-7 Heaven ran one for a bit on his friction drive, but tore the heck outta the tire! Should be perfect on your setup. WILD little moto!

GP460 With NuVinci?

I loaned Rick my 460 engine. It had a seized piston, so he rebuilt it and installed it onto his bike today.

It's a freaking screamer!

Yesterday Rick joined my family for a picnic at Ala Moana Park. He rode in on his Honda-powered bike. When he left, all we could hear was the Staton gearbox.

Rick dropped in today, with his newly-installed 460-powered monster. When he drove off, all we could hear was ENGINE, no gearbox.:giggle:

When he rebuilt the engine, he also reversed the piston and cylinder. Now the muffler is to the rear of the engine!:unsure:

In Hawaii, we like our bikes fast to dodge traffic :) Rick was a little slow with his Honda, so he started looking at options. He was interested in the GP460, and 5-7 Heaven had one that needed some work, so he was nice enought o let Rick try it out.

Swapping the cylinder around was a great idea! Will help out 5-7 on his future builds. The fresh 460 fires on like 1/2 a pull, and really moves with the Nuvinci! What a setup! 5-7 had problems with the narrow power band, the Nuvinci lets it stay dialed in a make power all the way...this looks to be the baddest motorized bike I have ever seen!

great job Rick, a big shaka to you!
File:Shaka-sign.png

rick4601.jpg

rick4603.jpg

rick4604.jpg

whew! just got back from my first ride and i must say this is exactly what i was looking for in a motored bike, the ride at least. I took it about 20 miles and got about 5 shaka's and 1 iphone videographer.

WOT its does 45 on the dot but i may be able to squeeze a few more mph's out of an expansion exhaust some higher octance fuel and a taller drive gear. All in all the ride is perfect for hawaii roads. It is awfully loud on acceleration but idle's pretty quietly. Acceleration was considerably faster than the cars leisurely pulling forward from a red light. im afraid the torsion bars wont hold up against this power, they seemed to have given way a bit near the end of the ride. im going to do a complete tear down tomorrow and see if anything else wont last... fingers crossed.

I noticed on a video of some gopeds with the 460 there motor was reverse of the one i was currently holding and after a few minutes of some thoughtful deliberation, and a fruitless search on the internet, it dawned on me it doesnt matter which way a 2 stroke runs. the only movement on the motoer is up and down, round and round. there's no intake or exhaust valves and as long as the cylinder is getting fuel and the piston is making compression that all that reall matters.

Big thanks to Hawaii_ed and 5-7 heaven for all of the insightful help and direction!!!

update: so after a little tinkering i got the expansion pipe on and the filter and cover on. It looks absolutley marvelous but i did run into a moderate issue...

the staton gears didnt hold up. im pretty sure i cleaned all of the teeth right off one of the gears. im going to strip it down tonight and find out for sure.

As for the ride i noticed a marked increase of power in the 10k-12k rpm range and a quieter, nominally, but more aggressive sound. the gp460 is a beast but i think it's a bit much for statons' "lifetime" warranty. the gear box had a little less than 800 miles on it. im going to call him after i take a look at it and get a replacement gear and ill be sure to post some pics.

Back