New member w/ Honda GX35 staton chain drive on Nuvinci hub

If the gears are not heat treated and you feel up to doing it yourself, (warranty may be voided) use a furnace or a very hot oak fired camp fire and heat the gears until they glow orange. Red hot is a bit too hot for this. Use a long hook or tongs and quickly submerge the glowing gear in a bucket of USED petroleum car motor oil. While keeping it submerged in the oil swirl it around in a figure eight fashion untill is is cool, about 1 minute. It will smoke and stink alot! You will have effectively case hardened the gear. Using used car oil is important as it contains alot more carbon than fresh oil. The extra carbon is needed as the steel will absorb it during the cooling process. Do not use used synthetic!

Will this work with sprockets as well? What about if they are chrome plated?

Here are some picts. of the inside of my Staton Gearbox: Mine is toast as well with a stock engine. I'm pedaling now.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa178/bonefish1855/DSC03886.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa178/bonefish1855/DSC03896.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa178/bonefish1855/DSC03870.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa178/bonefish1855/DSC03875.jpg

Yes, it will work with sprockets as well. I do have a concern that the sprocket is heated evenly or else it could warp.
Any chrome will be ruined, in fact a chrome plating will alter the visible color of the gear when heating to a dull orange glow.
I have only heat treated (case hardened) raw steel gears and shafts.

Your gears are a gonner. It is a sad day for your transmission.
Case hardening worn out gears will do no good.

I thought that the Staton gearboxes had a lifetime warranty. I could be wrong.
If he does provide that warranty, it just a warranty for the expected lifetime of the gearbox, or the lifetime of the original purchaser of the gearbox?
I do not know and am curious.......

Last I heard, Staton was analyzing the gear to see if it would be covered under warranty. I will update as I get more info from Rick...

Thanks again 5_7 for the feeling of what true power is like, i think i almost rode my bike to pieces with that thing. i dont think i kept it on the road longer than 5 miles at any given point but with some focused dialing in it's going to make for a true powerbike.

The dual engine gear box is in the mail! A second double cable handle will be need for the dual throttle cables, a few feet of fuel line to incorporate the fuel tank (thanks ED) and we should be good to go. pics will go up asap.

5-7, Ed

You Fellow`S May Know Something About This Kaw Motor.

I Bought It Off Ebay A Couple Yrs Ago For A Decent Price. He Stated It Was A $600 Motor New. I Have Never Tried To Start It. It Has Great Compression.

Saving It For Something Special. Like My First Mab Engine Buy = 43cc Mitsi. Still In The Box.

I Pulled On The Kawi Rope This Morning, Great Comp Dry. Any Idea`s On Power And Cc ? "kaw Td 40" On The Tag With A Serial #. 40cc I Suppose. A Lot Of Polished Alum On It.

RON

Attachments

• KAWA ENG BELT.jpg
    KAWA ENG BELT.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 509
  • KAWA ENG 1.jpg
    KAWA ENG 1.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 545
5-7, Ed

You Fellow`S May Know Something About This Kaw Motor.

I Bought It Off Ebay A Couple Yrs Ago For A Decent Price. He Stated It Was A $600 Motor New. I Have Never Tried To Start It. It Has Great Compression.

Saving It For Something Special. Like My First Mab Engine Buy = 43cc Mitsi. Still In The Box.

I Pulled On The Kawi Rope This Morning, Great Comp Dry. Any Idea`s On Power And Cc ? "kaw Td 40" On The Tag With A Serial #. 40cc I Suppose. A Lot Of Polished Alum On It.

RON

Did it come from a gentleman in Georgia?

Denny

I Don`t Have A Clue, Have Bought Over 40 Mab Type Motors. I Have A Good Memory- But It`s Short.

The Pic Is The Way I Received It. Does It Look Like An Old Friend ?? Lol.

I was asking more about power and rpm range. Also, it has "Weed Eater" Kaw TD 40 on the sticker.

5-7 & Ed and their buddy`s are messing with the very high performance little engines, thought they may know a bit about it.

Thanks anyway. ib Ron

Last edited:
Denny

I Don`t Have A Clue, Have Bought Over 40 Mab Type Motors. I Have A Good Memory- But It`s Short.

The Pic Is The Way I Received It. Does It Look Like An Old Friend ?? Lol.

I was asking more about power and rpm range. Also, it has "Weed Eater" Kaw TD 40 on the sticker.

5-7 & Ed and their buddy`s are messing with the very high performance little engines, thought they may know a bit about it.

Thanks anyway. ib Ron

Could be. Real nice guy from Georgia was selling big RC engines. He also had a Kaw and Tecumseh 50. I got the Tecumseh, but had to go to work.......and some #^%$&^% snagged the Kawi. The clutch looked like yours. :poop: :D

Denny

I also sometimes suffer from Oldsheimers. Did you have a tree service in Wisconsin at one time?

Denny

Yes, Started Tree
Service In 1979, Shut It Down A Little Over A Year Ago. Still Have All The Equipment. It Was Mostly A Fun Business. Labor Intensive, But I Liked It.

Was A Union Crane Operator For Yrs, But That Gets Old After A While - Sitting All Day Long.

Are You Keeping An Eye On Augi? I Guess You Guy`s Are Many Miles Apart, You Did Visit In Haines, Ak Though?

I Have Two Of The Tecumseh 49cc 2 Strokes. One Is Nos, Never Started On A Heavy Duty Friction Drive. "Viper" I Think

Ron

Attachments

• 100_1277.jpg
    100_1277.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 469
  • Tec_viper1.jpg
    Tec_viper1.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 429
  • 100_0882.jpg
    100_0882.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 492
That engine looks like it has a lot of custome work...Original KAW TD 40 is 1.21HP@7000 RPM, but no telling what has been done to yours!

And congrats on the dual engine box, looking forward to that :)

Back