New member w/ Honda GX35 staton chain drive on Nuvinci hub

Yeah it was running really well for me as well. The copper gasket and 93 octane fuel made a huge difference after i added the ngk iridium plug. That little thing is a powerhouse! Kind of makes me wish they made street legal 2 stroke sportbikes! imagine 250cc's with that kind of tuning and performance!

make sure you keep the cylinder head screws tight, we spent a couple hour one night a few weeks ago trying to figure out the carb isue we were having which turned out to be an air leak at the cylinder gasket. but youre a pro so you probably already knew that. =)

Let me know if you need a test pilot. ; )

When I lived in Tokyo, I rode a street legal 400cc 2 stroke sportbike. Talk about SCREAM! That little thing would move! I tried everyway to tear it down and ship it back, but just no way to get it legal for US street use. :(

I want one of these for a commuter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=qui4nBT9oRQ&feature=related

:devilish:

Yeah it was running really well for me as well. The copper gasket and 93 octane fuel made a huge difference after i added the ngk iridium plug. That little thing is a powerhouse! Kind of makes me wish they made street legal 2 stroke sportbikes! imagine 250cc's with that kind of tuning and performance!

make sure you keep the cylinder head screws tight, we spent a couple hour one night a few weeks ago trying to figure out the carb isue we were having which turned out to be an air leak at the cylinder gasket. but youre a pro so you probably already knew that. =)

Let me know if you need a test pilot. ; )

Rick, Hawaii Ed, where can you buy 93 octane? I'm using 92 octane Chevron.

The 76 on king st right before McCully library has 100 but im having trouble finding the 93 anywhere. Im sure 91/92 would be fine as i was running 87 at the time with decent results. Considering how close you live to the chevron (LUCKY!) i would stick with that.

So, All of the parts came in! Both motors are on the gear box sitting over the rear tire as i speak. Im going to head down to aloha power equipment today to see if i can get a quick buy for throttle cables, fuel hoses, and hose splitters to incorporate the fuel tank then i should be ready for test runs.:D

Attachments

• motorbike2.jpg
    motorbike2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 836
  • motorbike1.jpg
    motorbike1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 2,931
Last edited:
Your twin-engined monster looks INSANE! :bowdown:

You should post it under "Frame Mount" section.:geek:

My bike's ready, but missing the gas cap. Sooo, I cut 11" of bicycle tube, cleaned it and covered the gas cap filler hole with one end. Then I tied a loose knot with the excess. That way the tank can vent, but not leak gasoline. Unsure how long my "cap" will last, so I made three of them.:unsure:

Neat looking set up. That is looking interesting. I have 3 of the older Honda 31cc 4 strokers. Using two of them = 62cc should work and be dependable. Had one of the 31cc on a friction drive for about one hour and put the cag 49cc back on, the 1 1/4" drive roller was too large. Never thought i would use the sweet little engines again till today. Thanks for the pic`s. lol.

Wonder how many member`s etc have used the dual eng box. Don`t recall any compliants posted. Would much prefer gear oil rather than grease. Will check Staton web site.

Thinking about a very large brake pedal for your new Hot Rod !! wow

Ron PS I wonder how many will ask about the weight up high!!

Last edited:
Staton has heat treated all of the gears on the box and included a higher grade semi fluid grease for the box. im sure oil could be used with a gasket between each side of the box. as for the brakes, i got the biggest bb7's they sell... still doesnt feel like enough sometimes.

Those gas caps sure seem to be elusive creatures, and even more difficult to replicate... ugh! 5_7 when im set-up ill swing by with those parts and let you take a spin on the new sled!

Rick, how much does your bike weigh, and how much more did the twin-engine setup add?

I hope you splice that HT tank into your twin engines. It'll extend your range, and also make it VERY convenient to refuel, by filling up from the teardrop tank alone. All you have to do is drill a hole on the topmost part of the saddle tanks. Then install petcocks atop the tanks, fuel lines and a "T" fitting between the saddle tanks. Then a single fuel line travels to the HT tank.

The reason you use a petcock for each engine is in case one engine develops a fuel leak. You can kill that engine, close its petcock and limp home on one engine.

Be sure to plug the saddle tank caps' vent holes and vent the Happy Time tank, or the gas won't flow towards the engines.

Rick, I might be out on my appointments when you swing by. Just leave my stuff by the door; it'll be safe there. Thanks.

Can't wait for all of us to ride together again, you, Hawaii Ed and yours truly.:giggle:

Rick, can I try some of your semi-fluid grease for my 5:1 tranny?

Ron, I don't think Staton has sold more than a handful, and no one here mentioned anything about buying one. Previously, Staton would only sell the twin-engine setup as a complete unit for $900. Maybe no one wanted to pay that for twin Robin/Subarus. He finally wised up and offered the twin-engine box ALONE at an EXCELLENT price. I'll bet he sells more, but not many people like complicated drivetrains.

Heyyyyy, maybe I'll make a FOUR ENGINED MONSTER!!!

Twin GP460 engines up front and twin Tanaka 47R engines in the rear. 460's are lighter engines, so they'd go up front. Let's see, twin 460's are 8.5hp, twin 47R's are 5.6hp. That's 14.1hp. Install ADA S1 pipes on all of them for maybe 1.9hp more. Two dual-brake levers to control four engines.

Now that's INSANE!!!:giggle:

Whewww! Sorry, I got carried away.

Last edited by a moderator:
5-7

I almost posted the 4 eng thought. Apparently I have more self control !!!! lol.

We are just a bunch of senior kids !

Fresh brain f$rt!! A cheap dual engine! As most you you know by now, most of my builds are a use of parts = not works of art like many of the beautifull mab`s.

Starting with my "DIY" left side axle mount drive using the 5:1 gear box. The other engine could be a rack mount with my "DIY" dual right hand freewheels, like I used in my cvt rack mount. A 99cc build of interest to anyone !! lol.

With the carbs hooked to one thumb throttle, running one engine would be no problem with the axle free wheels.

If both engines are to be run most of the time, much higher gearing could be used , the motors would purr along at much lower rpm. Again my 31cc 4 stroke dual Honda`s would be awsum. Sorry for the rant, I just get so excited. he he

Is all this necessary ?? no! But if you are on a long trip one chain could be unhooked, just to save wear on the freewheel bearing.

bbl = need my nap before nascar !! Then watch "Shania Twain" video`s. such a fine heart, she never speaks a negative word. Now over 70 million album`s sold.

Ron

5_7 i took your advice and hooked up the motors to the tank so they pull from both their individual tanks as well as the peanut tank. I took it for a run today and i must say it is quite the experience.

As im sure youve assumed the weight is greatly balanced towards the rear and causes a little front tire lift on full throttle at the lowest gearing. The sound is amazing, the gear box is substantially louder and the stereophonic motors are quite pleasing.

Top speed is a modest 35 with old gas in it. The second motor is a bit aged but the lower sound level and reliability, even at continuos max rpms, is quite nice... and it looks cool.

There are a few small things i can modify to make it perfect but i believe we should be ready for a ride any day now. I saw you cruising by on nimitz this morning at a comfortable pace!

I have way more of the grease than i need so your welcome to as much of it as you'd like.

Back