New member w/ Honda GX35 staton chain drive on Nuvinci hub

I had a twin-engined MB, and fondly remember the drone of stereophonic Mitsubishi engines.

You can sense that both engines are straining less throughout the entire rpm range, even at their peak.

Thanks for dropping off my parts. I wasn't home because you saw me riding to the Blood Bank of Hawaii for my biweekly platelets donation. Then I rode to downtown for a martial arts aikido class. My daughter joined me there, so I put my bike in our van and rode home with her after dinner in Chinatown. (I can still ride my bike and exercise and don't get exhausted from donating. I don't lose a pint of blood, because they return the blood back into my body after removing the platelets).

Thanks for offering the Staton lube. Right now I'm running general purpose automotive grease mixed with 40wt. oil, in my tranny. Before that, I ran 40 wt. oil alone. I'm anxious to see how your-twin-engined beast runs!

Right now my 460 engine is leaking oil near the cylinder base. I'll shoot dow the area with contact spray, then locktite the cylinder bolts down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw the bike in person today, it is quite a slick looking machine! I am sure i has a serious rear weight bias, but no biggie :)

With the Honda motos, I am sure it'll run forever with no hiccups :) There is something to be said for relaibility too!

Funny you mention that, i was actually looking at some front panniers today to see if i could offset the weight a bit and have a few extra things like tubes and such. any suggestions?

pickett

That must be prettty awsum, especially with the Nuvinci Hub.

Are you liking how the Nuvinci Hub works?

5-7

Do you have much gear noise with your 5:1 gear box?

Ron

Ron, with engine off, there is quite a bit of gnashing and growling. As soon as the engine starts, ya can't hear the tranny.

I REALLY like the 5:1 tranny;there were no metal particles in there when I drained the oil and substituted grease/oil mix.:geek:

Ron, i absolutley love how the nuvinci works. manually adjustable ratios which can be shifted depending on the size of a drive sprocket. With the use of dual cable brake and throttle handles it out of the way enough that i never think about the hub itself only the fact that either im in the right range for peak power or not and i can adjust it if need be. Living where i live on a fairly steep incline its either adjustable ratios or WAY more power. Even hawaii_ed has adjustable gears, albeit less expensive with the use of a jack shaft.

I had the pleasure of seeing Rick's twin-engined bicycle on Tuesday night. It is VERY impressive and has a lot of torque. Hawaii Ed was there too. Rick asked me to ride it, but it was too dark, I had no shoes, helmet, gloves and we were on a hill. I'd like to ride it on the flats during the day, though.

Dicta brand freewheels dont seem to hold up for very long so i went with the 22T white-industries brand and i gotta say... wow. i havent taken it for a full on ride yet but the quality in feel is far greater than the korean/chinese made freewheels, i look forward to never changing that freewheel again!

Last edited:
update:

so apparently im becoming the destroyer of staton gears... I put way too much grease on the gears and in the gear box (which im told you cant do) and still they wear down the teeth.

needless to say the dual engine box didnt hold up either. Fortunately enough, there are some pretty cool motored bikers here on the islands willing to lend a hand or throw a deal that cant be refused.

I went back to the gp460 with, as always, great results. The motor came with a few unexpeted higher performance pieces than expected. .005 copper head gasket, velocity stack for the intake, and a boost bottle. I upgraded the tires to Bontrager cruizers 26 x 2.35 which are about as big as i think i can fit on there but they really inspire confidence in breaking and getting deep into the turns while rolling on on the throttle coming out of the apex of a turn.

not completely sure of top speeds yet but at 35 and it doesnt seem to break a sweat. lets just hope those staton gears hold up... :???:

Attachments

• DSC_0701[1].jpg
    DSC_0701[1].jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 272
Back