New mount for Stanton Inside Drive

Discussion in 'Rack Mounted Engines' started by RogerS, Jul 14, 2009.

1. RogerS

RogerS Member

I recently completed a new mount for my Stanton inside drive kit, and did away with almost all of the universal parts of the mounting kit. I wanted to get the engine as close to the seat and as low as possible.
    The main mount is made from a marine grade of plastic called StarBoard. Its a UV stable polypropolene. I machined in slots to match up to the frame perfectly so it could not twist or slide down. I also installed stainless steel Helicoil threaded inserts to improve thread strength. I have 175 miles on it since the make over completion without any problems. I think it came out looking pretty clean, let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009

2. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Looks like you did a right fine job with that. A good idea made better, perhaps.
    Let us know how the polymer holds up.
  3. RogerS

RogerS Member

"Let us know how the polymer holds up."

Will do. I have 175 miles on it so far with no apparent issues. I was going to make it out of alluminum but I had the plastic on hand and thought what the heck I'll give it a shot.
  4. seanhan

seanhan Member

That Starboard is cool.. I used it on my boat, It's easy to work with you can drill, saw or route it.
  5. mlcorson

mlcorson Member

Looks like you skipped or eliminated the right side rear support. Any performance issues related to that?
    Also, I see a down pipe or something on the exhaust. What's that?
  6. RogerS

RogerS Member

The front mount is so solid that I didn't feel I needed to go through all the extra work to put the right rear strut on. There haven't been any issues without it.
    As far as the exhaust goes, I had some 1/2 inch thinwall tube laying around the shop that fit perfectly onto the R/S exhaust tip. I bent a 90 in a short length of it, and tacked it on with the TIG. Just by directing the exhaust downward reduces the volume a bit.
  7. mlcorson

mlcorson Member

Other than volume, did you notice a performance issue with that mod? Plus, minus?
  8. RogerS

RogerS Member

No, I have the exact same top speed, and haven't noticed any difference in low end performance.
  9. mlcorson

mlcorson Member

I'm also digging the front carrier. How'd you fab that? What's the platform made of.
  10. RogerS

RogerS Member

That is made of 1/2 inch OD thin wall steel tubing. I used a 1/2 inch hand tubing bender to form the 2 corners. I copied a rack I saw on this web site.
  11. ElementX

ElementX New Member

Great work on the mount! Paint it to match your bike with red or black and it'll look good.

I was curious why you decided not to just cut the Staton mounting bracket about 3 inches shorter and drill new holes for the support bolts. I'm preparing to mount an outside chain drive this weekend and that's my plan so far, but was wondering if there's any potential issues I may have overlooked.
  12. RogerS

RogerS Member

The Stanton mount will do the job just fine. I could have cut their mount and redrilled it. I just wanted to eliminate all wobling and sway. I was about to make it out of solid aluminum, but I had the plastic and it is great stuff to work with. As for painting it, StarBoard doesn't take paint very well, but I may try that Krylon paint thats made for plastic. The upside to leaving it as is, is that if it gets scratched its the same color all the way thru.