new paint job on my oc.c. tank

so here it is, the new paint job that i did to my o.c.c. gas tank (it's a modified jesse james tank by the way)
the color is diamond dust silver, with a coat of clear, a coat of clear pearl, another coat of clear, another coat of clear pearl, and then 2 coats of clear (all laquer)
wetsanded and buffed out.
I originally painted the tank metallic black last summer, but i thought it was time for a facelift.

before:
chop5.jpg

tank5.jpg

now:
chopnew1.jpg

newchptank5.jpg

I still have to hook up the fuel lines and put on new fuel filters.

update...I hooked up the fuel lines last night and dumped some gas in the tank.
come to find out, the tank is now leaking!
it didn't leak after i soldered up all the holes, gaps and seams the first time, and all i did was sand the paint off and re-paint it this time.
I have no idea exaclty where it's leaking, but it may need a another new paintjob because i will have to sand the paint off to fix the leak.
I can't understand why it leaks now because i didn't disturb the soldered areas.

no, the leak was simple and a big mistake on my part.
when i originally made this tank, i drilled a hole on each side of the tank in the rear. I silver soldered in 2 peices of copper tubing for fuel line outlets.
well, when i put the tank back on after I painted it, i forgot to put clamps around the fuel lines where they slide onto the copper tubing.
the leak was where the rubber fuel lines slid onto the copper tubing because the fuel line is a tiny bit too big.
all it took was for me to install a couple of clamps on the lines.
this was a dumb mistake on my part because i was in a hurry when i put the tank back on the bike.
Luckilly, i was able to save the paint job and it doesn't need to be re-painted.

Back