New plan

Love the Bike!

Just me, I love the headlight. Rear mount it. It looks like it was made for it.

I hope you find your bike...

Love the Bike!

Just me, I love the headlight. Rear mount it. It looks like it was made for it.

I hope you find your bike...

I'd like to rear mount it, but it has a coaster brake as standard and a internal nexus hub - I thought that those were impossible to use with the belt sheave...?

I hope I find the bike too - I have £6k+ of medical bills to look forward to too, and if i dont get the insurance I will have to cut into what I have as savings *sigh*

Im not holding out much hope though and it still really hurts that it could be someone I saw as a friend... :cry:

Jemma xx

Last edited by a moderator:
The other option is this....

http://www.onyerbike.co.uk/buy.asp?id=2091&bike=true

and then have the ridelow springer fork fitted which would make pretty much the same specification ... and all in all an easier setup due to the deraillier and standard brakes..

It might be that the loss of Anita might be a blessing in disguise - allowing me to make something ideal from the ground up... that and I will be getting an indestructable lock!!

Jemma xx

Stalk Your Suspect

Sorry for your loss Jemma. Use two types of locks at the same time. Cable, chain, or U-lock, any two used together will make it doubly hard for a thief. He will need two types of tools to take the bicycle.

The first bicycle you listed as a possible replacement does not have a real spring fork. It is a decoration only. You can see that at the bottom of the fork where the axle is attached there is no pivot for the wheel to travel up and down.

Sometimes getting replacement parts or upgrades separate from the original purchase is more expensive than buying a bicycle with the features you want already installed. Buying a more expensive bicycle will also come with higher grade components.

In the USA the Specialized company sells several versions of the Expedition model. The prices are very different from the lowest level model to the highest level model. Perhaps there is a similar bicycle with a real spring fork that will cost less than buying one separately. The mountain bike types of shocks will be much better than the spring types.

Style has its place too.

If you stalk your suspect you might find your bicycle. Go interview his neighbors with photos of your bicycle. Don't tell them you suspect him, just knock on some doors with photos of the bicycle. Be sure to tell them it is motorized. That way it will stick out to them if they see it. Give them your telephone number and the number of the detectives handling your case. It's more than the police will do.

There is no way someone with a motorized bicycle can resist riding it around for a while. If your suspect has it you can be assured he will ride it, even if only for a little while.

I hope your insurance comes through for you. It seems insurance companies in the USA do their best to not honor their contracts. It is probably that way everywhere.

Good luck.

Attention: That is a true suspension fork and has been used on bikes since... well forever. :rolleyes:

Take a closer look...
http://www.onyerbike.co.uk/bikeimages/deluxe7.jpg

The pivot is at the fork crown and the spring base is mounted to the top headset between the adjustment nut and lock nut.

The wheel is an issue though. You may want to ask about optional rear wheel configurations. They may have something laying around they can put on for you. Don't forget you will need to get a different brake system and there is no front brake at all. The cool rear rack looks like a no brainer to use. But will likely need extensive modification to adapt an engine and drive to it. likely it will get scraped for the mount designed for the engine to mount to it.

The second choice just makes more sense, though it is definitely not nearly as cool.

Kep1a

I'd like to rear mount it, but it has a coaster brake as standard and a internal nexus hub - I thought that those were impossible to use with the belt sheave...?
I have a GEBE kit on a NExus 3-speed coaster-brake bike, but my engine is frame-mounted--I am not using the GEBE U-shaped yoke at all.

The coaster-brake isn't an issue that I have found, you just have to KNOW not to back-pedal while resting your feet on the pedals. Mine seems to take about 90 degrees of backwards rotation before the brake effect kicks in, so it's not hard to do.

The geared-hub issue is that the Nexus 3-speed hub axle may not be long enough to safely mount the GEBE engine yoke on, and geared-hub axles are complex machined things--they're not just a simple threaded rod going all the way through, so there's no easy way to get another longer one anywhere. If you could frame-mount the GEBE yoke somehow (as others have done) then you could side-step the long-axle requirement entirely, and having the engine mounted separately of the rear wheel makes flat tires easier to deal with as well.
~

I have a GEBE kit on a NExus 3-speed coaster-brake bike, but my engine is frame-mounted--I am not using the GEBE U-shaped yoke at all.

The coaster-brake isn't an issue that I have found, you just have to KNOW not to back-pedal while resting your feet on the pedals. Mine seems to take about 90 degrees of backwards rotation before the brake effect kicks in, so it's not hard to do.

The geared-hub issue is that the Nexus 3-speed hub axle may not be long enough to safely mount the GEBE engine yoke on, and geared-hub axles are complex machined things--they're not just a simple threaded rod going all the way through, so there's no easy way to get another longer one anywhere. If you could frame-mount the GEBE yoke somehow (as others have done) then you could side-step the long-axle requirement entirely, and having the engine mounted separately of the rear wheel makes flat tires easier to deal with as well.
~

Hey,

****, I just ordered the thing *sigh* the one I have ordered is green/white combination - saved £20 which would probably mostly cover putting a hub brake in.

The only thing that worries me is that rear hub *sigh*. The one I have ordered is a 7 speed internal hub. If I cant rear mount I will have to have a mount made up for the front end of the bike, which should work...

Jemma xx

Last edited by a moderator:
Hub Width

Years ago I wanted to put a seven speed hub in a frame, so I went to a bicycle shop to enquire about it. I was shown that the seven speed hub would not fit my frame because it was much wider than a 3 speed hub.

There might not be a problem with your seven speed hub Jemma, other than the spokes might not align with the drive ring due to a different spoke pattern.

I love internally geared hubs. One day when I'm feeling extravagant I'll get a Rohloff Speedhub.

Back