New project but not sure I want to continue.

Discussion in 'Spare Parts, Tools & Product Developement' started by Dockspa1, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

This is a 70sish Sears and Roebuck speedster. got it cheap.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the modification I have done to fit my short legs and still fit the 70cc engine. I dropped the seat tube and the cross bar 4.5 " and rewelded.
    [​IMG]

The problem is this is a three speed with the 1-3/8 rim and tire.
    I don't think I can find a single speed rim to fit it for the 70cc strength.
    Also worried about the strength of the rear mods that I made.
    I NEED input. Help :???:
    Thank compadres
    Doc

2. 3-speed blues

Hi, well, I have relaced 26x1 3/8 3-speed wheel with a coaster into the same rim, same spokes. They used to make single -speed (coaster) rear wheels, but I don't think the coaster in that size is avail in the US.

Mike

3. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Doc,

my schwinn speedster started life with 26 X 1 3/8 tires. (also 3 speed)
    I put a regular (the more common size) 26" coaster brake rear & matching size on the front. I used 26 X 1.5 Kenda Kwest 100 psi tires.
    there was plenty of room between the stays & fork for these wider than stock tires. And....it made the bike sit lower, with plenty of pedal ground clearance.
    http://www.motoredbikes.com/viewtopic.php?t=823

here's a before & after look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

your frame mods look cool. If you don't trust your welds.... have you thought about gussets?

4. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Thanks for your help MB's. Dave, after looking at your shwinn, I think that mine was a knock off of yours. I will search for some 1.5's and yes, I believe I will gusset it. I have a little 110 Volt mig & just to be on the safe side, I better.
    Wow, it fits me perfect though, as far as my short legs go. :smile:
    That 1-3/8 is a tight fit as it is, so I will try to find a real cheap 1.5 to test.
    Thanks again ya'll.
    Doc

5. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Hey, I guess maybe, I could cut a little from my drop outs to make it fit. Would lose some adjustment length but it just might work.
    Mike, didn't they use to use the 1-3/8 on almost all the ten speeds?
    Later
    Doc

6. 26x 1 3/8 wheels

Hi Dockspal, no the 26x 1 3/8 was used on 3-speeds, single speeds, and some of the 5-speed Schwinn Contental's ( I have one) tho some ot the Schwinn's used a different sized tire on the bike, and it would not interchange with the rest of the world. Most 10 speeds were 27x 1 1/4 tho some were made 24x 1 3/8 same as the smaller 3-speeds. I too have used narrow 26x1.5 wheel and tire combo on a 3-speed that I made into a single for a girl a while back. Coasters are simple and almost indestructable in my experiance.

Mike

7. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Thanks for the help Mike.
    Doc