new rider

Coming along nicely! I do have to ask: Will that exhaust lay out work with the panniers? Heat + Nylon = Pyrotechnics. Or am I way off base.

Gobi

Nice job on the bike, it looks pretty good!
It is nice to see people that take the time to make their build their own.

If you want some winter work ideas I have a couple for you.

1. If you haven't already done so, replace the bearings in your Huffy back wheel, they tend to fail in short order.

2. Redo your front mount with a Muffler Clamp as the attachment point to the frame.
This gives you a 360 degree grip on the down tube AND a flat plate with bolts to secure the plate you attached to the engine.

frontMountSBP.jpg

That is a SickBikeParts.com front mount but you can make your own plate, the trick is getting the exact muffler clamp to fit your tube.
One of problems I see all the time with OP's builds is a poor front mount.

The rule of thumb is simple...
Grab your top bar with one hand, your engine head with the other, and try AS HARD AS YOU CAN to make the engine move side to side, if it does EVEN A LITTLE that is a fail because your engine has a lot more strength than do you and doesn't want to stay there ;-}

3. Invest in a pair of cable cutters.
Most every cable on your MB can be sized but the throttle cable and perhaps and internal shift cable as they have a nipple on each end.
Everything else is bare cable on one end so you can size them.

What you are sizing is the outside sheath, the part that makes a pull cable possible.
I start at the handlebars and get every cable to play nice and look when it hits the frame and adjust from there.

2_Surley2SmuleL-2048.jpg

That's is a bit extreme, on a beach cruiser like yours you just compromise with some cable out front, but still 'orderly' as it where.

Handlebars2014.jpg

That 7-speed 2-stroke shifter has 6 cables and 2 wires coming off the handlebars but still possible to make it look simple with some cable cutters.

That should give you something to play with when you are snowbound to make it even nicer hehe ;-}

Actually Gobisox it aint even a pannier. I rigged up a laptop bag to the left hand side just too hold some extra tools for quick adjustments on the go. I had a problem with my bottom motor mount 1 day i was cruisin the park and it tore right in half. The guy that built the bike for me made his own plate to fit the cruiser frame with a u bolt and a 3"x3" cheap piece of steel with 4 holes in it to mount the motor and frame too. Needless to say i had no tools and had to walk the bike home almost 2 miles. (That sucked)
I laughed wen KC said something above. Been there done that.
But to answer ur question gobisox about fire hazzard. I only have the 1 "pannier" and it hasnt given me any issue yet and i thinks its far enough away to keep it cool.

Last edited:
I've done some work on that tail light assembly we were talking about. Just before Christmas I picked up a bulk grouping of vintage bicycle tail lights on Ebay. 5 bucks! Found a use for that scrap of sheet metal cut from the cowling of an industrial float switch that had just the right angle. I made a few cuts to split the top in to three sections then bent the outer sections into "rams horns". I added a slight roll to the center then curved the bottom angle to match the rear fender. I'm in the process of retro fitting LEDs into the light housings and tying them to the exhisting light bar. I intend rob the existing light bar of LEDs and use them in the housings while leaving the mechanism intact. The bundle I bought had extra housings so I'm adding a light to the fender of the side car that matches the center brake light.:D
tail light assembly.jpg

I'm in the market myself. I added a front side pull brake but I'm not satisfied with the stopping power. Disk or drum is the question. Drum being the more expensive but better look for your build.Husky bicycles sell a front wheel with drum brake at a reasonable price after comparing various sites, but it's tough to spend the same amount on a front wheel as I did on the engine. I will eventually, as drums seem to be the best application for what we're both going for - I'm just trying to this as inexpensive as possible for fun and challenge.

Gobisox

you can get a puch front drum hub for around $20. much cheaper than any disc brakes that are worth a damn

I had a problem with my bottom motor mount 1 day...
i was cruisin the park and it tore right in half.
I laughed when KC said something above. Been there done that.
Yep. THE very most important thing in an MB is the motor mounts, and flat on round just don't cut it.
Goona change your mount system Joe?

Thanks Butre! I'll have to look into that although I've never laced spokes before. Is it just tedious or is there special technique involved?

Gobi

its been a few days since i been on the forum so i thought id post an update. i completely dismantled my frame and traded it and the forks for a set of brand new bent springer forks. dude hasent even gotten them in the mail yet. so when i get them they will be brand new. tomorrow i will have all the cash for my skyhawk gt2-a frame. i cant wait to get it here n get everything together. i have yet to see 1 with the tourquer 2 exhaust, and am curios to see how she looks in the end.
kinda at a dead point now. nothing for me to work on.......board.....so for now i guess imma do some research on some of the builds of the world and see who did what that might suit my taste. again i wanna thank everyone who posts to this thread. yall really make this hobby and this experience worth while. as a 25 year old with little mechanical experience i can say not only have u helped me but ive also recruited a few other people to the hobby and have definitely recommended this forum to all my new "recruits".
also are there any opinions on the skyhawk gt2-a frame b4 i order it tomorrow morning. ive done my research and have concluded that it might be exactly what im looking for. the only thing that worries me is the aluminum frame as far as strength and durability:cool:

kinda at a dead point now. nothing for me to work on.......board.....so for now i guess imma do some research...
also are there any opinions on the skyhawk gt2-a frame b4 i order it tomorrow morning..
the only thing that worries me is the aluminum frame as far as strength and durability.
I don't know about the knockoffs but the real Grubee GT2 frames are pretty stout.
As for something to do, chances are there is some snow you can work on hehe ;-}

Back