New Rotating ad system is live!

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by Tom, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Tom

Tom Active Member

After much discussion with our current and future sponsors, I decided to switch the advertising to be 3 rotating ad slots on the left, rather than the list of static ad slots from before.

The ads now rotate, so I think it will help make them a little more interesting.

Let me know if this is causing anybody any problems or anything. Wouldn't want the ads to affect the usability of the site.

2. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

At the moment, I'm seeing links to individual ebay ads. I might end up missing the direct links to parts suppliers.

That's probably not a big deal. And you should do whatever is effective. I can't help thinking, though, that everyone's better off having links to SBP, Spooky Tooth, Bike-Berry, etc., as opposed to links to anonymous chain tensioners.

3. spunout

spunout Member

i see a blank space between ads alot of times, where another 120X240 ad should be. since nothing shows, i wonder if someone is still getting debited for an impression.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  4. augidog

augidog Banned

if i was paying, which i'm not (my sponsor-status is subsidized by gebe) i'd be dismayed about the slot-machine effect. i've flipped thru a few pages to see doubles, repeats, and yes mostly useless random ebay listings.

it seems a casual browser may not even see some of the very supportive sponsors we have, people who've hung in there & deserve better.

only my personal opinion.

5. Tom

Tom Active Member

The blank is there for one advertiser whose ad doesn't show up for mozilla firefox. I paused his ad to let him know of the problem and he says he doesn't mind since most people use IE anyway.

As far as the useless ebay ads and the doubles, the new system allows people to sign up and upload their own banner + check their stats. A lot of sponsors haven't uploaded their banner, so we are getting these doubles and filler ads. Those issues should sort themselves out in a short while.

6. Tom

Tom Active Member

That is a good point. I could have a complete list of sponsors at the bottom, below the ads.

7. augidog

augidog Banned

that seems like a fair compromise :cool2:

are the doubles/triples something you could remedy?

8. lordoflightaz

lordoflightaz Member

Well that explains the blank ad.

Not to start a browser war. Non windows users don't use IE. So I guess the vendor only wants Windows people. Heck I use Windows but much prefer Firefox. When IE 8 ships maybe I will consider it, since they are going to try to be more CSS consistent.

I hate having to do the cross browser testing

9. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

So where is the SBP ad? Our name isn't even shown on the list??

10. Tom

Tom Active Member

I really want to. I am working on that right now.

I am crediting all the advertisers with extra impressions since it is double counting the doubles/triples.

The advertiser just uploaded a new ad and it works on my browser now.

You guys never signed up! You need to create an account so you can log in and check impression/click stats, upload new banners, etc. I just figured you were too busy to sign up and would get to it eventually.

11. Pablo

I could of sworn I signed up. I remember telling which option (quantity) I wanted and everything and you said OK. Well, shoot me the info again. Thanks.

12. Tom

Tom Active Member

Hmm, looks like I got rid of the doubles/triples issue. Now its not showing banners sometimes...

13. Pablo

Just a link for the public to read the sponsor fees. No banners at all.

14. Pablo

Works fine now. Thanks Tom!

15. spunout

spunout Member

New ad rotation stats:

Under the previous system, I averaged 140 visits to my site daily. Clicks to my site from MBc averaged 66, the rest from other places. To keep a 120x120 ad up, ran $40/month.

Under the new rotating ad system starting (for me) April 2nd, I average only 31.5 visits to my site via MBc.
    Average impressions shown daily are 4842 (based on 4 days). I bought 50,000 impressions for $25. at that rate, my impressions will most likely run out by the 12th. I see tom (I assume) added 7,500 add'l impressions (thank you. much appreciated), so that will get me to the 14th or 15th.
    SO...that means at a 4842 average daily impression, to not run out in a 30-day month, I would need to buy 145,260 impressions in one bundle of 50,000 for $25, and one bundle of 100,000 for $48, for a total of $73.

In summary, this basically means I'm getting less than half the visits to my site, for almost double the money.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  16. Pablo

I noted nearly exactly the same to Tom in a PM. He is working it out. I'll PM you.

17. Tom

Tom Active Member

Yeah, the pricing was a complete guesstimate. I thought I calced it out pretty well, but I am hearing that I didn't. I am still in the "figure-it-out-as-you-go" stage with this new system, and will adjust the prices accordingly after testing for a week or so. I'll also be crediting the "early adopter"s accounts accordingly.

I think I am going to switch to a click or a "Unique Impression" based structure instead of this "absolute impression" based one.

66 clicks to your site a day for 40/month is an absolutely killer deal though. Try doing that with Yahoo Search Marketing or Google Adwords, or even facebook ads, and you will be paying ~$0.25 per click, which would cost you close to $500/month.

I'll let things run for a little and then sit down and figure out a better amount to charge.

18. augidog

augidog Banned

on the lighter side...

now that i understand how this works, i keep hoping i don't see GEBE impressions :jester:

19. spunout

spunout Member

cripes. i had no idea.
    dont get me wrong, i wasnt trying to muddy the waters. just some stats.

20. Tom

Tom Active Member

Agreed. That is one of the flaws of counting absolute impressions. When we switch to unique impressions, you will just count as one unique impression to all banners, no matter how often you view them.

No worries. Just trying to give some frame of reference. Adwords is way overpriced anyway in my opinion.