New rules for e-bikes in Pennsylvania.

Last edited:
Well it seems there's a speed limit for ebikes, follow it or risk a ticket. Don't fed regs on ebikes over ride state regs? Fed regs say it's a bicycle and cannot be treated like a motorized vehicle.

State law can override federal law when the state law is stricter than the federal law, but not the other way around. Many state laws impose heavier penalties for violations than federal laws. In this case, pennsylvania classifying ebikes as mopeds is stricter than the federal law classifying them as bicycles, so it's allowed.

butterbean, you ride an unregistered and uninsured motored bicycle and the cops don't bother you. Have you ever wondered why? It's because in Pennsylvania an "assisted pedalcycle" is LEGAL. Otherwise they would stop you and cite you. Young guys ride unregistered motored bikes all over Erie without being bothered by the police, BECAUSE THEY ARE LEGAL! There is a section in the Pa. motor code book that covers this and it is NOT the section covering mopeds! Believe whatever you wish, but the proof is you are not being stopped everytime the cops see you. I rest my case.

No, they are not legal. I have been pulled over for tags, I just don't get bothered where I live now because the cops here don't care. They let a guy ride a factory built moped with no tags. They don't know the laws on motorized bicycles. They've asked me what size my engine is, and also what the limit is because they don't know. I've researched the law extensively and I'm NOT going to debate with you over it. I've already told you I will agree to disagree. You can have the last word if you wish, but it's not going to change anything. I rested my case awhile back. You're just blowing hot air.

butterbean, you ride an unregistered and uninsured motored bicycle and the cops don't bother you. Have you ever wondered why? It's because in Pennsylvania an "assisted pedalcycle" is LEGAL. Otherwise they would stop you and cite you. Young guys ride unregistered motored bikes all over Erie without being bothered by the police, BECAUSE THEY ARE LEGAL! There is a section in the Pa. motor code book that covers this and it is NOT the section covering mopeds! Believe whatever you wish, but the proof is you are not being stopped everytime the cops see you. I rest my case.

MBike,
I would like to know what section of Title 75 you are looking at. I'm a police officer and have never heard of an "assisted pedacycle". Title 75 Section 102 has all the definitions of vehicles and yours is not listed. I'd like to know what I missed. And for the reason we don't stop people on motorized bicycles is simple, we don't need to waste our time.

Now there's a cop that deserves a raise. Also has my vote for Sheriff.

Registration/inspection/insurance

Hi Mike!

I'm about ready to register a motor bike in PA. I'd like to think that it is a power assisted bicycle. The bike meets the specs of a moped (48cc gasoline engine) by what PA DMV writes as of 12/2014...

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////MOPED
DEFINITION: A motor-driven cycle equipped with operable pedals, a motor rated no more than 1.5 brake horsepower, a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cubic centimeters, an automatic transmission, and a maximum design speed of no more than 25 miles per hour, or an electric motor-driven cycle equipped with operable pedals and powered by an electric battery.
CRITERIA: 1. Engine may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters.
2. Engine may not exceed 1.5 brake horsepower rating.
3. Operable pedals required.
4. Automatic transmission required.
5. Design speed may not be more than 25 miles per hour.
6. Does not require inspection.
7. Moped plate issued.
8. Annual registration fee is $9.
9. No helmet or eye protection required for driver.
10. Class C, Non-Commercial Driver's License required.
December 2014 - over -
NOTE:
A pedalcycle with an electric assist is defined as a vehicle weighing not more than 100 pounds with two or three wheels more than 11 inches in diameter, manufactured or assembled with an electric motor system rated at not more than 750 watts, and equipped with operable pedals and capable of a speed not more than 20 miles per hour on a level surface when powered by the motor source only. The term does not include a device specifically designed for use by persons with disabilities.
Pedalcycles with electric assist are considered a bicycle and do not require titling, registration or insurance. The operator does not require a driver's license but must be at least 16 years of age.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

With this in mind can you think of a good reason not to register? Seems like a lot of trouble to have a little fun on neighborhood streets.

Thanks, Rick

Attachments

• cb1.jpg
    cb1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 559
Last edited by a moderator:
I just spoke with PennDot (2/22/16). My intentions were to get my (48cc automatic clutch) bike registered and was looking for some guidance. They specifically told me that it cannot be registered as a Moped. I'm a little confused because it sounds like there are some registered bikes out.... I'm only guessing that they are registered, just not as a Moped. Assisted Pedicycles do not need to be registered or licensed according to Penndot. This information agrees with motorbikemikes explanation above.... however, I would like to get something in writing from the local or state police. If anyone has anything in print that would be great. PennDot was not even able to provide something in writing, because it was only in their "notes section". I wish something in writing could be made available.

Back