New Schwinn Build

Looking good Quenton! Do you know what that hole was all about? I knew you would good , but I can see you are very meticulous with your work. This must be costing me a small fortune! lol Can you do the rest of the bike for me? I've had a few delays that are setting me back a little.
Was going to use New Departure coaster brake hub, but I can't see being able to drill holes big enough for .120 spokes. I ordered a heavy duty brake hub from workman but the guy said it will ship in 7-10 days! huh? Do they custom build each one there? I was going to finish painting the frame last weekend but the stencils were the wrong size and I had to work 10 hrs Sat. and Sun.
Just remember kids, " Expect Delays" Plan every thing you can in advance and than adapt when your plans go south! If you are planning a new build, try to get every part you can before you start. This will help you avoid delays and over paying! After I acquired my H- motor on ebay I could not find a ML5B carb or clutch pulley. Recently I just saw a carb go on ebay for $315 dollar. One good place to look is Memory Lane. They go to many meets and scooter shows and are buying used parts all the time. If it's not on their web site, there is still a chance they may have what your looking for.See you when the Paint drys

Hole in head matches the hole in the extra cylinder you sent, must have stripped it out and only had a LARGE bolt to replace it with. I already planned on issues, as every build has the little "glitches", so price hasn't changed.

The only part of this build I didn't like was the top rear motor mount stud isn't straight, as the previous owner drilled the hole at an angle and the bottom pushed a small hole in the case [not a problem]. When I installed the heli-coil, it threaded in at an angle. I removed one and installed another to have it also take the same path. It will work fine, just isn't as straight as I would like, and it won't pull out.

The Carburetors are becoming scarce and the price is going up.

Cleaned the crankcase earlier today, just need the magneto cover and the crankshaft to finish the motor.

Have fun,

Was wondering if anyone one out there Knows if a exhaust pipe from a pacemaker 11, wc1 motor will work with a H- motor? I think I may have read that is will but you need to bend it. I do have a mandrel bender but not sure if it will handle exhaust pipe?

Yes, Pipe from new edition motors will fit the vintage motors. It will be necessary to re-size the hole in the manifold to fit the pipe.

The new edition exhaust manifold will also fit the "300" and later vintage motors with the 1/4" manifold bolts.

The "H" & "J" motors use 10-24 screws in the exhaust manifold, whereas the "300", "300S", "500", "600S', and "700" cylinders use 1/4" X 20 to attach the larger aluminum manifold.

If you use the new edition pipe, be sure to remove muffler insert as it will cause too much back pressure on the vintage motor. If you use the new edition pipe and want to reduce the noise level, just contact me and I will send pictures of the original vintage muffler insert [I have an NOS unit in stock]you will need to copy.

Be very careful when bending the pipe as it can "kink" very easily. An old trick is to fill the pipe with wet sand, and pack tightly. The sand will help stop it from "kinking" when bending.

If all else fails, I have the correct size "flex" pipe needed and the correct mounts [have hundreds of feet of flex pipe in stock].

Have fun,

Quenton, Why don't you hook me up with the exhaust if your price is comparable with memory lane. Manifold is coming to you anyway! Thanks

Nice wheels lillback!
Quenton there isn't a manifold on any Whizzer motor,(unless your taking about Richards)
There is only one cylinder, so it makes it an exhaust elbow.

Ray

Hi lillback44,

Got a call earlier today from a friend & fellow Whizzer collector [his bike did over 70 MPH on the Roller Road in KY this year], and he mentioned your bike may be a middleweight frame as opposed to the balloon tire version. The middleweight version was a big seller starting around 1956, and the frames are different. In fact my first new bike was a 26" Huffy middleweight [26 X 1.75]in 1958.

If the frame is the middleweight version, the belt path will become a serious issue. The frame will need to be re-worked [bent] and most likely "crimped" along the belt path.

Have fun,

SUNP0030.jpg
Just wanted to show a pic of paint job. Not a very good pic, and will add better pics tomorrow.

Back