New Schwinn Project

This is a quick update. Progress is slow by some standards.

Mickey: I'm rockin'
MotoSchwinn: I am trying to post all that happens for everyone's knowledge. Hope it helps.
Esteban and Reclaimer: Thank you for the words of encouragement about the pace of the build. Life gets in the way of excitement.
Alaskavan: Thanks. Like your quote.

MBF.com - Thank you for the help and knowledge freely distributed. I learned to make Biodiesel from a forum. I am very happy to have you as a guide on this adventure.

More pics and details to come.

bgem41

Nice build so far, keep it up. One observation so far. It appears your rear sprocket is not tight enough yet, potential spoke breakage.

?????

Ghost0,
Please explain. :confused: What do you see that I don't or I don't know about. I am not aware of the torque specs needed, yet if you see something, I thank you in advance for telling me. I don't want the potential of breakage from them being either too tight or too loose.

bgem41

I zoomed in on your pic and it looks like the lock washers are flat which is good.

When in doubt, its better to end up being too tight rather than too loose. Tight will put a small crimp/bend in your spokes, which SS spokes should handle fine. Too loose and the bolts will continuously work against your spokes and break them, and quickly.

YMMV

I had all 9 pulling spokes break on one ride because I was too paranoid about tightening them.

It is way better to overtighten then not tight enough. You should squish the you know what out of those doughnuts. I actually only use the inner one, it helps keep the sprocket true and it is easier to tell when you have it tight. It also helps with chain alignment.

Flat lock washers

Hello,
Thanks for the replies.
I did make sure that the lock washers were flattened out when I snugged them. I snugged them them and then spun the wheel for gear alignment both concentric and radially. I don't recall how much tighter I made them after alignment. I will check them to see. I was more concerned about bending the spokes and pulling the wheel off to that side after I trued it with the gear on the wheel. Should I have trued it first, then put the gear on?

Like one old boy told me in the first machine shop I worked in," Make it as tight as you can and then give it another 1/2 turn (LOL)." With 6mm bolts that should not be too hard.

No I won't strip them. If I do, I'll replace them with 1/4-20's or 1/4-28's. Should I do that anyhow?? Opinions??

Thank you Mickey and Ghost0

bgem41

Rear gear and Carb

Hello All,
Ok, I have redone the rear gear with 1/4 - 28 nuts and bolts. Pics to be coming shortly.

I have read about the red gasket that seems to fit the petcock for the gas tank as it does not seem to fit the carb very well.

It has been mentioned about o-rings on the carb can someoone please point me to a thread if it necessary or what is meant about O-ringing the carb. Search has not come up with anything for o-ring+carbs, etc.

Thanks

Bgem41

Grommet or caulk???

Howdy,
I am overdue for an update but work has taken me out of town. The slow but sure approach is still on track and progress is being made.

Pics will be coming and solutions to problems will be described.

azbil - Thanks for the thread. It has been used and pics to follow.

Can someone point me to the thread about sealing the magneto. I know to keep water out, but how?? I have read some threads, but now I cannot find them. I guess that my understanding of the search function is limited. I apologize.

bgem41

Back